Find a Friend

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petlover

Hi Guys,
Some advice needed.....

Alfie is around 14 months old, We got him at 8 months and he has proved to be a little treasure however since then i have read that lone rats are very lonely creatures and it breaks my heart to think of Alfie as lonely.

My concerns are simple, I am scared to make him feel insecure and worry if i bring another rat into the home he may not want to make friends.
I have read mixed comments about some rats mix well and others simple become set in their ways and i feel so undecided what to do but i really would like to see Alfie with a companion.

After seeing Jo's Videos on youtube with the 18 rescue rats she has taken on board, it has inspired me into thinking maybe their is still hope for alfie finding a friend.

Please Help guys...

Yvonne & Barry

Alfie2.jpg

baby boys? that is the easiest intro with a adult intact male. they don't see them as a threat to their territory. :)

I always suggest 2 so when Alfie is sick of the little monsters they have each other to pounce on :) Later on when Alfie passes they will also have each other.

I agree. Intros might not be easy but babies are the safest route to go. If he's going to accept other rats, chances are it would be babies or spayed females. Good luck! :D

I completely agree it's worth a try.

Just to toss in a warning though, I have tried to introduce a little baby boy to my first rat, an intact male. Like you, I found out late in the game they aren't good with living alone. So to remedy this I bought a little boy and attempted multiple intros but it went so, so badly. Oliver (the adult) would attack little Dexter each time and he'd bleed and it just did not work. Even after I gave up and would let Dexter free range, he'd walk up to Oliver's cage and stick his nose to the bars as if to say, "Ha ha, I'm free you sucker!" Oliver would often be faster and he'd leave with a bleeding nose.

This is my one and only experience introducing males. My introduction with females went sooo much more smoothly and the three of them act like best friends.

So I'm not sure why Oliver rejected the baby with such violence but I just wanted to say that it can happen and you need to be prepared for both situations, in case you get an experience like mine.

I've had the opposite experience that bronwyn has had... my girls are a real pain for intorductions whereas my boys were always wonderful as long as it was with young males. Mine were about 6-8 weeks old at intro time with the older males. Everyone got put in the tub and I cleaned out the cage, put in new bedding, scrubbed out all of the scent markings (they just got put back on again anyhow) and when the cage was ready and everyone had had enough playtime, I put everyone in the cage. Went perfectly and I haven't had a problem yet.

If you do have a problem though, have a towel on hand to toss on the rats. It "stuns" them and gives you time to separate the little fighters. Always be ready to give it a few days (up to a couple of weeks if you are having a tough time). I would also agree and say to get two.

I'm in the middle of introducing 2 3 month old babies to 4 adult rats. 3 of the older rats were perfectly fine - just sniffed the babies and moved on. But one of the older boys is still being a complete jerk and picks on the babies. He hasn't made them bleed in a while but he sure loves to terrorize them! What a jerk...

Thanks guys for taking the time to respond. Our main concern is that Alfie is comfortable and doesn't feel insecure but i never expected it to be to easy and i know there will be a period of adjustment.
Alfie has always been very mild mannered and since we got him he's always had his own space and has developed his own routine he seems to like. My worry is that by having another rat around his peronality may change to an agressive one.
Of course im sure he would love a companion and i have huge hopes of seeing him bond with another friend and seeing a whole new side to his personality ( a positive one) i just worry it may not work.
I'm going to read some more through the advice already on the forum but whatever i decide i will introduce him to two boys not just one so if he really is a stubborn old boot, the other two can grow up together.
Your advice was appreciated and will be taken on board. many thanks

Yvonne & Barry

That's a great idea, to adopt two just in case. Oliver's personality did change as I think he may have felt threatened smelling another male nearby. His attitude towards me was fine but he was on edge a lot...poor guy. When they were moved to separate rooms things were better for him.

Back