Fighting Aggressively But Still Getting Along

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Venus_rat

So, my two rats are super close and have been together since day one. They get along 99.9% of the time, but have minor spats every now and then. But recently, I've realized that both of them have bloody bite marks on their bodies. They're fighting, but they still cuddle and all that at the end of the day? I'm confused, so just to be safe, I have them separated.

Are you sure your boys aren't suffering from mites or lice? Along with excessive itching, mites or lice can cause rats to become crabby and pick on each other more often. Do you have any pictures of the bites? Separating rats can actually cause more stress and hinder any sort of healing or recovery on their part. I'd recommend putting them back together, especially if you haven't seen or heard them trying to hurt each other.

They haven't been itching at all. I'll try to get pictures tonight, but they don't like being held for too long.

Still, I wouldn't write external parasites off. When you're feeling cruddy, you tend to take it out on others.

If it isn't external parasites, then one boy may be hormonal and may need a neuter.

Well if they are bonded for a long time I am not sure why... It could be just hormones... Is your cage large enough, do they have enough time out of the cage à day? I am just asking it could be none of these... I had this one male he got picked on a lot, would find nicks all over his body about 10 years ago I remember when I would try to hold him he would cry and squeal... Well he was found in a litter of mice so I have no idea what his problem was. The other 3 had no problems and they were all adopted at the same time

Yeah, they have a big cage, it's taller than me and they love it. They do get time out whenever possible. I've just realized now that the huge fights only occur when food is around. I may have to separate them when they eat. Mainly because my more dominant rat likes to steal.

I would definitely do a mite treatment. That is usually the number one reason for scratches on rats. As for food, give them each their food bowl. That might help too.

Back