Female??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Gummetje

Hi today I got my new rat she (i hope) is the cutest creature. I already have 2 female rats and slowly introducing this one.

She was sold to me as a 8w old female. But now i’m doubting if she is female.
She doesnt have nippels. She also looks a bit small for 8w?

Hope you someone can help me out! Thanks!

Attachments

• AB1443E4-80EC-47EE-AA29-9F4FA5E5549B.jpeg
    AB1443E4-80EC-47EE-AA29-9F4FA5E5549B.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 184
  • 2DB5D274-2298-4B7E-A7F8-A3D7A20C5172.jpeg
    2DB5D274-2298-4B7E-A7F8-A3D7A20C5172.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 186
What a cutie! It could be hard to see nipples, but they should be there. Unfortunately I think you're right, I'm certainly not an expert but "she" looks like a boy to me. I was able to tell with all of my babies, but it is a lot easier to see in person.

Oh, never mind! I've been looking up pictures and apparently you should be able to see testicles by 5 weeks old. Sorry, I haven't had to know this for a few years now.

can you post a better picture of her genital area?
but if she is a girl you should be able to see red dots indicating nipples, girls have 10 to 12 nipples, while boys only have a belly button

Here are pics of 5 week old babies for reference - note that girls have 3 holes: an urethra, vaginal opening and an anus. Testicles drop quite young, however they can be withdraw into the body cavity and do not drop for some boys - which requires surgery to neuter the boys - ie remove the testicles https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/anyone-able-to-tell-me-gender-of-baby-rats.31176/#post-456863

8 weeks is young to be doing intros, 10 weeks is safer ..... info on the gradual intro steps can be found on this site and joinrats.com has a lot of good info on intros

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Went to the vet yesterday and she’s a girl:) but they agreed it’s hard to see on this one.

She has a separate cage next to my other girls. I let them together on my bed to get to know each other. There is a wascloth with the baby scent that i put in de older ones cage to get used to her smell and that Seems to help cause there Not diving on her to get a good sniff like they did yesterday.

I will let her grow a bit before i place her with the older ones.

So in the mean time she’s my baby, lying in my shirt all day. Plopping her eyes out, making noises with her teeth and grooming my hands like I’m her sister. So darn cute:)

Back