Female babies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Melanie

Hi, I have 3 females, got them 2 weeks ago. I wondered how long it takes to get them used to me.

I have heard that females are more shy than males. I put my finger up to the cage and pass treats through, but one of them... Freya... runs straight in to their bed box the second I appear! Daisy is confident but doesn't like humans and Willow is just starting to take a treat.

How long should I wait before picking them up? I had to do this when I cleaned them out, but don't want to scare them.

They don't wake up until around 11pm when I am fast asleep, so don't get much time to bond with them!

Is there something else that I should be doing?

Thanks, Melanie

I highly recommend avoiding feeding through bars.. It teaches them food gets stuck between so if you put your finger in the bars they might bite.. As for the bonding try to talk with them as much as possible, lots of people use a bonding pouch or put on a long sleeve shirt and put another on over it and tuck them into your pants so you can put them in between the shirts. It gets them used to your smell and voice while still being 'hidden' and warm so they feel safer !

Rats are naturally Nocturnal but lots of rats actually switch their sleep schedule to match the owners.! Don't worry too much about waking them up just be gentle and cautious because when ratties are scared and they suddenly wake up they might bite(same with most animals)- Try to keep stress down and a calm attitude. If they sense that you are calm they'll be more likely to react positively then if you were frustrated.

Thank you so much. Good thinking re not feeding them through the bars, and I will get some rat friendly clothes!

Not a problem.! All rats are different they just may take some time to warm up < 3

Rats are generally crepuscular but can adapt to our routines. You'll want to spend a lot of time with them, sitting next to them with the cage door open so they can come explore you and offer them treats when they do come see you. Having an outside play area like on your bed would be fun for them. Add toys and treats to the area and let them explore.

Back