Feeding an Elderly Rat with Neck Lymphoma

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott_Wilks

Hi everyone,

My little old men have been coming to the end of their time these last few months and we sadly lost one, Pumpkin, earlier this week.

The one who is left, Peanut, has developed some very large lymphomas around his neck/throat and I noticed today that they have begun to impede his ability to reach his mouth with his hands properly - hence preventing easy eating.

The chap seems perfectly happy and doesnt let them get him down but I was wondering if there are any tips or reccomendations on things I can do to make his last month of life happy and content as possible? (And if there are any foods he would ve able to eat with ease despite his large neck).

N.b. I am loathe to attempt surgery due to his age (2 years, 6 months) and the incredible expense: that to be honest is beyond my student budget.

Last edited:
I'm so very sorry about missing your post on your old man. How's he doing? If he has masses instead of swollen lymph glands then i would start with a soft mushy diet (take his lab blocks and either add water til they are a soft easy to swallow consistency, or crush them up in a coffee grinder (oxbow etc are super hard and compressed and dont dissolve well unless ground up first). Baby cereal can also be good as a supplement

Back