Feeder rats as pets..Please help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys my rat is falling over and is cold his feet and tail are cold. He wobbled to me for warmth. His brother popper just died but I don’t want my Gizzy to go so soon after, please please help me in any way you can . Should I get him another Lil guy? It’s beesn a week

Keep him warm. try to get fluids into him - can he eat? if so feed foods with lots of fluid in them such as organic soy infant formula thickened with baby cereal, cooked vegs, watermelon etc
When you gently pull up on the skin on the back of his neck and let go does it snap back into place?

How is his breathing? extra effort? sounds? What does he sound like when you hold him up tp your ear and listen to each side of his chest?

Can you take him to a good vet with the knowledge and experience to treat rats?
Post on face book group Real Rat Lovers Want to Know

Signs of shock may include:

• Labored breathing
  • Slowed or shallow breathing
  • Lethargy/exhaustion
  • Pale lips, ears, extremities
  • Lack of thermoregulation (cool rather than warm to the touch)
Please start a thread about your rat with a title such as Rat cold and falling over

Posting on an old thread that does not show you need help means people will not necessarily respond in a timely fashion

Piper died of uri but Gizmo sadly died through the night. I am sorry . Thank you for helping me though. He got better then took a turn for the worse.

I don’t know if I should get another rat soon ( with a buddy of course) or later. It’s sad and unnatural for me to not come home with Lil guys wanting to play. Idk if you have any ideas, please send them

I think it all depends on if you're ready or not. Some owners prefer to wait while they're mourning, yet others feel more comfortable mourning while welcoming new faces into their home. It's also one of the many reasons I keep big groups of ratties as well, as I find their short lifespans to be far less traumatic when there are always friendly faces remaining. So no matter your choice, it really just depends on if you feel ready or not. I'm so sorry for your loss and wish you nothing but the best!

I'm so sorry for your loss. For future reference, soy formula is very helpful for when your rattie won't eat. Yogurt is also helpful, especially when they can't eat solids again yet. You might have to use a syringe to force feed/give water when worst comes to worst (obviously not too much at a time!). Mixing meds with yogurt is a good way to trick them into taking it.

As far as getting new rats, I say that if you feel emotionally ready and know you can care for them, do it! Best wishes.

Back