Feeder Rat with Pet Rat for new rat owners

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renetx3

My child begged me to get her at Rat for over a year. But I thought that was ridiculous, A pet Rat, What? Then I looked that sorta thing up on the internet, and WOW, i had no idea!! Now I see theres so many, many Rat lovers. So, I foolishly said Ok, and he went and found 1 single pet store who had one within 50 miles of us.
And she is so precious, and loving, playful, but, I stupidly did not do enough research first before getting her. I know now that she should have a friend like her, a female friend. But again, theres no breeders that I can find, and no stores who have any as of yet. So one of my many questions is, about getting a feeder rat, hopefully about her same age, to live together? Is this not a good idea? Would or could they hurt each other? I dont know what to do?

Have you checked shelters, or Craigslist? There are many people who can no longer afford their rats, and turn them over to shelters, or rescues, or post them on Craigslist, where they often go as reptile food.

The issues with feeder rats is that they're sadly bred to be food, and not exactly for longevity of life and can come with a multitude of health issues that sometimes can affect your other rats. As Dena mentioned above, it's best to poke around on Craigslist or check Shelters and rescues in your area since you can sometimes get lucky.

Back