Feed your rats blueberries

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i love feeding blueberries to my guys, lots of antioxidants.

i've also tried feeding blackberries, which are also very good for you, but, sadly, none of my rats want anything to do with a blackberry

hopefloats said:
Just make sure you remember the staining is from the blueberries!

When I read reminders like this I used to think of course I would know it was the berries. Later however I fed them strawberries and the next day I totally did panic for a second there lol. :wallbang:

Blueberries are no longer the front runner for the best antioxidant fruit. Although it's still extremely good. Better berries are the blackberries, goji berries and the best of all berries is the amla. Indian goose berries. You can get it powder form to add to their food.

Also good are black raspberries (not the same as blackberries).

Black raspberries are hard to find and are kind of expensive. Though you can get them in a mixed package of frozen berries or in powder form.

I only give my two rats about 2 or 3 blueberries per day because if I give them more than that their poo is really mushy and messy.

Dahlas said:
I feed blueberries....but also other fruits as well. Mine love blueberry dunking...

Such a good idea! I've done pea fishing multiple times but I never thought of using blueberries.

Also, garlic is an amazing antioxidant, and honey(ecpecially black forest honey) is insanely healthy in many ways-just like for humans. But I think it's too sweet to give the little guys.

Aida said:
Also, garlic is an amazing antioxidant, and honey(ecpecially black forest honey) is insanely healthy in many ways-just like for humans. But I think it's too sweet to give the little guys.

I thought garlic wasn't good for rats?

Sharlees rattakisses said:
Mine LOVES fruit!!
They eat it and then spend the rest of the time as pooping machines.:giggle:
Smells like a barn in there the next day. :shock:

LMAO :laugh4: That's so true for this house too!

Kate476 said:
Aida said:

I've given my rats some before, mixed between other fruits and veggies, and they were fine. I also think I made a thread about it?

jorats said:
Blueberries are no longer the front runner for the best antioxidant fruit. Although it's still extremely good. Better berries are the blackberries, goji berries and the best of all berries is the amla. Indian goose berries. You can get it powder form to add to their food.

Where can you get this powder and how often would it be best to give to them?

Aida said:
Kate476 said:
Aida said:

I've given my rats some before, mixed between other fruits and veggies, and they were fine. I also think I made a thread about it?

I mix garlic in their block mush sometimes. Can someone explain antioxidant and the benefits of giving food that is an antioxidant?

Antioxidants are like little soilders in our body, witch are either nutrients(like vitamins or minerals) or enzymes(these proteins that help with the chemical processes in our body).
Almost every chemical process our body does (digestion, breathing, etc.) releases these things called "free radicals", witch our harmful to and hurt our cells and DNA. This happens because our chemical processes take away pieces of these radicals, therefore they are short of electrons and steal them from our cells/DNA, witch damages them.

It is impossible to completely prevent this, although antioxidants help by making those free radicals "neutral". However, when they do this, the antioxidant itself gives it's own parts, so that is why we constantly have to get more and more antioxidants-the ones that have already done their job become useless.

Like with everything, too much of a good thing isn't good, and if we take in too much of these they will cause side-affects. This is why FDA still isn't sure about supplements, and not everyone recommends that you take them.

Different types of antioxidants are needed to neutralize different free radicals, and are found in different places.

Pretty much, what all of this means, is that the berries we've mentioned have a lot of good vitamins and minerals, and many of witch are specifically designed to aid our immune system.

Hope I explained this well. :]

I bought a bag of frozen fruit, of frozen berries cherries and blackberries and stuff..I wasn't to sure about the blackberries tho thanx for clearing that up!

Back