Fancy rat mates wild rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

Zane Līkā

Hello.
I got serious and a bit curious problem.
My rats always have a walk in my flat. I thought that it is safe, but one day my rats find a way to "the paradise under my shower".
Yesterday i came home and saw that i have not only 2 rats, but 8.
So, now i have 6 hybrid rats. What to do? What about their behaviour?

So your rats are females and a male wildie bred one resulting in 6 pinkies?

Ok I call these babies halfies and I've raised multiple litters from people unaware of the issues and once had a wild rat invade my home and mate a in heat female. In your case a LOT factors on the mental state of the mom I've noticed. Is she nervous or hard to handle? Is she calm, confident and friendly with people?
Lets start there.

Yup, now i have small baby rats that came as suprise to me.
Pregnancy was normal, i just have some jokes about that she eats a lot but o thought thats normal because all her life she was very edacious.
She acts normal all pregnancy time and also now she is ok, cames into hands and want to socialize just gets bit nerovus when i want to thouch her babies.
So your rats are females and a male wildie bred one resulting in 6 pinkies?

Ok I call these babies halfies and I've raised multiple litters from people unaware of the issues and once had a wild rat invade my home and mate a in heat female. In your case a LOT factors on the mental state of the mom I've noticed. Is she nervous or hard to handle? Is she calm, confident and friendly with people?
Lets start there.

I have she since September. And she was always very friendly and attractive

Ok that's good. A confident happy mom is a big step in the right direction as halfies are difficult babies to raise. You will need to socialize these babies even more than a domestic litter. Have you ever raised a litter before?

Unfortunately no.
Now they are 6 days and i a bit upset about when is the right time to start socializing with them.

The first few weeks of an animal's life are the most important for socialization. Start socializing with them as soon as possible. You should be able to see a white part on the underside of the babies, this is the milk band and shows that they are being fed. If they have the milk band, take them out and spend time with them, making sure they stay warm with a blanket and/or heating pad on low. If they don't have the milk band, put the ones that don't have it back and wait until they do have it. You can play with the ones that have it while you're waiting and then put them back when you get the others. I would socialize with them several times a day every day as long as they are fed.

Unfortunately no.
Now they are 6 days and i a bit upset about when is the right time to start socializing with them.

Please handle them and cuddle each one at least a couple of times a day. Having the cage in an area of the house where you are is also good as you can talk to them.

Lilspaz68 and Jorats have experience as well as knowledge with raising half wild litters of ratties so they can give you excellent advice

Mommy gives really good care about babies. :)

Attachments

• 1524839024182-861474408.jpg
    1524839024182-861474408.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 203
  • 1524839062557-178911576.jpg
    1524839062557-178911576.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 15248391520851074513396.jpg
    15248391520851074513396.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 188
Yes, cuddle them, play with them, handle them a lot
Awwwww ...... Beautiful babies .... their mama is doing a wonderful job

Last edited:
As long as you’re holding them and giving them positive human interaction, you’re doing socialization right! It looks like mama rat is really good at taking care of her babies as well!

Oh wow they are so pretty! I love their colors, I'd totally help take a few off your hands if you were near me haha.

Back