Eye injury

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srcl

Does anyone know if a mouse can die from an eye injury or eye infection? Or what can a punctured eye lead to if not given proper treatment/ointment from vet ?

Any creature can die of infection. Please take your mouse to the vet. If nothing else, at least they should be able to ease the poor critter’s passing.

They might be able to provide antibiotics and pain medication, especially if they have to remove the eye to save the mouse.

Any creature can die of infection. Please take your mouse to the vet. If nothing else, at least they should be able to ease the poor critter’s passing.

They might be able to provide antibiotics and pain medication, especially if they have to remove the eye to save the mouse.
I did take him to the vet 5 days ago, they gave me eye drops to put 3-4 times a day; and I did that thoroughly. Looking back at the visit, the vet didn’t examine my mouse enough. I was only there for 7-10 minutes, and the vet right away just said he would give eye drops; and bring back my mouse in a week.
My little guy passed away yesterday morning, that’s why I’m asking bc I’m trying to figure out and get some answers.
The vet wasn’t very informative when I went either, just said “I don’t like how dry the eye is looking, and it appears there’s no sight; let’s give him some eyedrops”
at the time, I was so overwhelmed and worried; I wasn’t thinking to ask enough questions which i really should have; I was way too quick to rely on the vets examination

I did take him to the vet 5 days ago, they gave me eye drops to put 3-4 times a day; and I did that thoroughly. Looking back at the visit, the vet didn’t examine my mouse enough. I was only there for 7-10 minutes, and the vet right away just said he would give eye drops; and bring back my mouse in a week.
My little guy passed away yesterday morning, that’s why I’m asking bc I’m trying to figure out and get some answers.
The vet wasn’t very informative when I went either, just said “I don’t like how dry the eye is looking, and it appears there’s no sight; let’s give him some eyedrops”
at the time, I was so overwhelmed and worried; I wasn’t thinking to ask enough questions which i really should have; I was way too quick to rely on the vets examination
Oh no… I’m so sorry for your loss.

Yeah, it sounds like that vet was less than interested in providing education. Not a good sign. Are there other vets in your area who take exotics?

How old was your mouse? Did you see what happened to his eye? Are you planning to ask the vet for a necropsy?

Unfortunately no, I just moved and called and researched about 7 different vets in the area,
Only that one one place would take in mice.
There was a wildlife rehab center that I was going to try, bc I saw they treat any animal no matter what; but they said they are closed due to construction.

He was about 1-2 months old. His eye was bulging out, dried, and he wasn’t able to close that eye at all . I could tell he was in a lot of pain. Good thing was that he was eating and drinking normal. I’m afraid that maybe the eyedrops made it worse, i don’t know. The last time I put the eyedrops (this past Saturday night) he was very agitated; I could tell it was bothering him even more. He was grooming a lot. So I laid off applying the eyedrops; I wanted to give him a break. So Sunday morning, that’s when I found him. He took his last breath in my hands; we tried to make him as comfortable as possible and just be there for him. I feel so horrible, I wish there was more I could have done to help him. And that I could have found a better vet that was willing to help treat him properly, along with provide more information and insight on what was going on with him.

And I would like to ask for that, but they honestly ripped me off with having such a short examination; cost a lot to get that appointment. So I wouldn’t be surprised if they’d do that if I ask for a necropsy.
I’m trying to at least find peace in knowing that he isn’t in pain anymore.

Back