Eye Infection. Warning: Graphic

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Cortney Michelle Hinkle

My rat, Rim, was apart of one of two liters I accidentally had almost two years ago. She was born March 26, 2016. I currently have 14 and I've done years of research and reading to know everything I can about them to ensure they receive the proper care and diet. But I honestly have no idea what to do about Rim. My husband says he didn't see her last night, as it was late when we got home and too dark to see in on her and her cage mates (Her mom, Miyuki. Her half sister, Nina. Her "aunt", Vera). These four don't fight. They are very gentle. They play wrestle and occasionally Nina will assert herself in their pecking order. But they don't fight. So I have no idea how this happened. How she could possibly have done this to herself. She has a vet appointment tomorrow at 4 EST. I'm so scared for her however. Infections set in so fast and can take a turn for the worst over night. I'm so lost. Please. Tell me what I can do for her until tomorrow.
20181011_135453.jpg
20181011_135549.jpg

Attachments

• 20181011_135656.jpg
    20181011_135656.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 159
She also has small fatty tumors in both armpits. They are both relatively new and haven't grown in size any. I have another rat, Alice, who gets these tumors and I've had them removed multiple times. So Rim getting them never gave way to concern. Is this a tumor? Not an infection?

It looks from the photos that there is a mass behind the eye that is pushing it out, probably either a tumour or an abscess. The eye will definitely be lost and probably have to be surgically removed. I’ve seen eye infections before and they usually don’t bulge around the socket like it’s doing on your little one, so I think there might be something else going on there. I hope the vet will be able to diagnose it and that treatment is possible!

Back