The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pandora

This photo does it no justice, but my new guy, since day one, has had a slightly bigger right eye than left. When I can pet him, his eyelid can close over the eye but i feel it's more buldged than left as well.

Unfortunately I am really tight for money, i can take him to the vet but i cant afford surgery. I know many people have mixed opinions on adopting with barely any vet money, but i would rather adopt a sick rat and let it die loved rather than, it being sick and dying untreated and unloved.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200108-041025.png
    Screenshot_20200108-041025.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 171
This photo does it no justice, but my new guy, since day one, has had a slightly bigger right eye than left. When I can pet him, his eyelid can close over the eye but i feel it's more buldged than left as well.

Unfortunately I am really tight for money, i can take him to the vet but i cant afford surgery. I know many people have mixed opinions on adopting with barely any vet money, but i would rather adopt a sick rat and let it die loved rather than, it being sick and dying untreated and unloved.
Hi Pandora,
what was your outcome with this wee fella? I have a little lady who is exactly the same and don't know whether to be concerned or not!

It never bothered him much. I think he just had big eyes. He's passed on since then due to a combo of other health issues and old age.

There is a condition called microphthalmia or micro-eye where the rat is born with at least 1 smaller eye, sometimes non-functional sometimes moderately functional. Its usually from poor breeding/genetics. It may have been this. It shouldn't affect the lifespan of the rat. Older rats sometimes develop one larger eye than the other and you just keep an eye on it for any severe developments but most of these also don't bother them.

Back