extremely !!! Swollen foot

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

Hello, just went to take one of my rats out of their cage and noticed my girl has an extremely swollen foot ( and maybe her leg a little too ). She cannot bend her toes and just drags the leg around. Vets are closed tomorrow but I will be taking her in on Monday most likely. I am just wondering what this could be ? Could it be sprayed or broken? Or could it be something more serious ? Has anyone ever dealt with something like this? Thank you in advance.
( Her tummy was shaved on a vet visit for an ultrasound some time ago )

Attachments

• IMG_20200912_232515.jpg
    IMG_20200912_232515.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_20200912_232519.jpg
    IMG_20200912_232519.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20200912_232524.jpg
    IMG_20200912_232524.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20200912_232458.jpg
    IMG_20200912_232458.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20200912_232511.jpg
    IMG_20200912_232511.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 145
Do you have any Metacam? That would be ideal to help bring the swelling down. It's most likely a bad sprain but you have to look for malformations, bruising etc. Seeking and heat is more indicative of a sprain.
If you don't have Metacam do you have any infant liquid ibuprofen?

Do you have any Metacam? That would be ideal to help bring the swelling down. It's most likely a bad sprain but you have to look for malformations, bruising etc. Seeking and heat is more indicative of a sprain.
If you don't have Metacam do you have any infant liquid ibuprofen?
I just recently threw out the little rest of metacam that I had cuz it was close to expiring :( don't have any liquid ibuprofen. I'll try to get some metacam from the vets tomorrow morning.
Is there a way I can tell it apart from being sprayed or broken? I don't see any malformations. There's a small bruise that makes it look like she got the foot caught somewhere. Can't say I feel any heat from it. It's just very red snd swollen. The photos I attached don't do it justice lol

Hi! One of my boys recently had a swollen foot as well and it looks the same as the one yours have. I took him to the vet and thankfully it was just soft tissue sprain and no fractures. After just two days of metacam, he started using that leg again, with a little limp, but after a week he has completely recovered. I would still go to the vet to make sure though there is nothing else going on. Hope your girl gets better soon!

Hi! One of my boys recently had a swollen foot as well and it looks the same as the one yours have. I took him to the vet and thankfully it was just soft tissue sprain and no fractures. After just two days of metacam, he started using that leg again, with a little limp, but after a week he has completely recovered. I would still go to the vet to make sure though there is nothing else going on. Hope your girl gets better soon!
Glad your boy is doing good ! My girl is doing way better :)

Back