Extra Time Out of Cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Negoonus

Hey guys I need ideas on how to spend more times with my rats besides their play time. I'd like to have them keep me company during the day when I'm just on the computer or doing chores, but I don't know if they'd rather just be in their cage to sleep. What do you guys do with your rats?

You can set up a little hut with a comfortable pillow bedding outside the cage or just a large cardboard box that has one hole in the front and one hole in the back with some fleece inside to cover the base. I let my rats free run 24/7 and they have several fave spots to have a nap and I know each rat's sleep cycle due to observing them all day. They come out to play and interact when they wake up. I let them on my shoulder when I do some chores like taking out the garbage to the hallway or doing some spot sweeping.

I'm assuming the box would be like a "safe place" for them if they're in unfamiliar territory, so I should add some things from the cage to make it smell more like home?

Just wear a hoodie. If they want to retreat or take a nap they can do so in the front pocket or in the hood. They will happily ride around with you all day.

I'm assuming the box would be like a "safe place" for them if they're in unfamiliar territory, so I should add some things from the cage to make it smell more like home?
Yes, rats like to have a few safe covered spots to run to if they feel the need, or to take a nap in. Putting the box on your desk and introducing them to it is a great idea. Just be wary if you have cord chewing rats. My rats don't chew cords, well, except ONE time but it wasn't an electrical cord, it was a USB C cord.

Yep and rmn is right about the hoodie. I wrap a blanket around my shoulders so if they want they can scoot into it and I have a jacket with large sleeves that they also LOVE to sit in like a hammock while I walk with them. I let them out for bathroom breaks onto ledges that are at least a foot or two off the ground. They love to run along the ledge and race momma to the other end. When they've had enough they just signal they want back into my sleeve and crawl back in and we're off.

Then there summer time backpack is worn on the front with fleece bedding in it. I unzip the front flap of the backpack and tuck it in to the main body, throw down a small fleece liner and in they go. I wear it on my front and they can look out and see as well as hide in the fleece if they want.

It's cool the amount of time you can spend with them with just a little thinking about how to do it.

Back