Extra Smelly Rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sidnee Mellor

hello!!!
I recently added two new rats to my life and they both have really stinky urine. Not only does their cage smell awful, even after cleaning it every couple days but even when we allow them to hang out with us outside of the cage, their urine markings smell horrible.

They are both female and are around 2 months old. They recently had their first vet check up and they were deemed healthy. All behavior is normal.

I’ve had several pair of rats before so I’m familiar with usual rat smell. But this smell is something I’ve never experienced before.

Has anyone experienced this before or have advice to resolve the stink?

Thank you in advance!

Could they be dehydrated? If so, their urine will be darker, and stinkier. Make sure they have a couple of water sources. I use a couple of bottles (one on top one on bottom) and a water dish. Other than that, I don't know.....

I have two water bottles on their habitat and I haven’t noticed darker urine. They do drink often so maybe I will try to add more water sources.

Thanks for your advice ❤️

I too wonder about dehydration, or an infection etc that might be causing the odor.
Diet may also play a part, although that is generally bowel movements

Back