Euthanasia - which way to go?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegoldenrat

Hey guys-
I've been researching the different options for euthanasia for rats. I hear so many conflicting stories, I'm starting to get confused which way to go.

I just spoke to my vet and she said she first gases and then later puts an injection in the heart.

I've read some say this isn't ethical? I've read in other places that this is a good method.

I hear others that say an injection to the nape of the neck to sedate instead of gas? I also know it also depends if the rattie is having breathing issues or not which route to go....

I know some people do their own euthanasia at home without injections and it seems like this is the most peaceful way to go because they don't have to get poked by needles....and I wonder why vets don't do this? I always hear from vets that there is an injection involved in the end.

Don't worry guys. I'm not going to euthanize her from home....I simply bring this up because I don't understand why vets have to inject the ratties.

If anyone could share their thoughts on this, I would appreciate it. These ratties don't live long enough and my heart is so sad. :( I just want to make it as painless and as peaceful as possible for her. Thanks!
-M.

NO! Under no circumstances should you let this vet put your little guy down. She clearly doesn't know enough to do the procedure ethically.

A lethal injection should never be administered to the heart. It's extremely painful, even if the rat is sedated - and it's difficult finding the heart.

Actually the lethal injection should be given in the heart,but only when completely sedated. She should give your rat a sedative then the gas and finally the shot. That is the best way.

Last edited:
Hey guys-
I've been researching the different options for euthanasia for rats. I hear so many conflicting stories, I'm starting to get confused which way to go.

I just spoke to my vet and she said she first gases and then later puts an injection in the heart.

I've read some say this isn't ethical? I've read in other places that this is a good method.

I hear others that say an injection to the nape of the neck to sedate instead of gas? I also know it also depends if the rattie is having breathing issues or not which route to go....

I know some people do their own euthanasia at home without injections and it seems like this is the most peaceful way to go because they don't have to get poked by needles....and I wonder why vets don't do this? I always hear from vets that there is an injection involved in the end.

Don't worry guys. I'm not going to euthanize her from home....I simply bring this up because I don't understand why vets have to inject the ratties.

If anyone could share their thoughts on this, I would appreciate it. These ratties don't live long enough and my heart is so sad. :( I just want to make it as painless and as peaceful as possible for her. Thanks!
-M.

I think if you search this site you'll find the recommended methods for euthanasia

a heart stick ALONE is illegal in many US states, and is NOT an acceptable method

however if the rat has been sedated as well as they would be if they were having surgery, a heart stick is ok

there are a couple of ways to sedate the rat to that level of unconsciousness.

Anesthetic gas can be used, but in my experience, a lot of rats will fight this, and that is hard to watch. It depends on what condition they are in at the time.
Some vets will use just gas but it's my understanding that the gas is expensive and this is not done routinely.

another method is to give an injection of a combo of drugs that puts the rat out, and then they are given either the heart stick or an injection called an IP injection, intraperitonial, or something like that (I know how to say it but not spell it LOL)

it's hard to know how it will go, but as long as your vet is making sure that the rat is unconscious before the euthanasia drug is given, than it's probably going to be ok

there are ways to test if the rat is fully out of it, I don't know what those are but again if you search this site, I'm pretty sure its on here somewhere! ;-)

my vet does the gas/oxygen mix used for surgery and then when my ratttie is deeply unconscious, the needle

Please see this thread http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7652

btw, it is impossible to humanly put rats to sleep at home, unless your vet is doing a home visit .... Jorats has a thread about this ..... and CO2 gas has been found to be inhumane and causes great suffering (what many who pts at home use)

@SQ @Mandon @Petunia @dspch911
thank you EVERYONE for the advice! I just got home from the vet.

Although she doesn't give a sedative injection, she does gas until she is fully out.....just as she would if she were to perform surgery...then does the lethal injection into the heart.

You are correct, some rats hate the gas initially and fight it....but I hear they then quickly calm down.

Good news....I think I will (fingers crossed) have another week with my baby. She was given a steroid to help with the inflammation and breathing.....she is filled with tumors, so there isn't a lot of time left, but I want to make her feel more comfortable. I don't feel she is quite ready for euthanasia just yet as she is still eating and coming to me for food and snuggles. But once her breathing truly becomes compromised or the eating stops.....it will be time. :(

My heart breaks, but I feel relieved to know I have at least a few more days hopefully a week or two to be with her.

thank you guys again!!!!!!

Love to you all-
M.

Back