Entertainment ideas?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cute, but I do have to ask, is that a rabbit/guinea pig cage for them?
I think it looks like Kaytee's My First Home for pet rats... which is too small for rats and should be taken off the market imo.
If you Google the rat Cage calculator, you can type in the measurements of your Cage and see if it is appropriate for rats.

Mine is a kaytee for rats. Yea I will need to upgrade soon but for 6-8 hours a day they have free roam of the room. They love it and they wanna go where they ain't supposed to be. The dark one got in my tool bag so i took him out and zipped it up. Now he's always trying to find a way back in. If I would have left it alone he probably wouldn't pay it any mind

I think it looks like Kaytee's My First Home for pet rats... which is too small for rats and should be taken off the market imo.
If you Google the rat Cage calculator, you can type in the measurements of your Cage and see if it is appropriate for rats.
I only like those cages for "storage", illness, or introductions. I "store" my rats in one of those types of cages while I clean their main cage, when I have a sick or injured rat, or for when new rats are slowly being introduced to my main cage rats. That's the only reason they should be on the market and, instead, should be marketed towards those sorts of things.

Mine is a kaytee for rats. Yea I will need to upgrade soon but for 6-8 hours a day they have free roam of the room. They love it and they wanna go where they ain't supposed to be. The dark one got in my tool bag so i took him out and zipped it up. Now he's always trying to find a way back in. If I would have left it alone he probably wouldn't pay it any mind
While I do like the amount of time you give them for free roam, I would recommend supervising them and upgrading their cage. I don't like to be stingy or get on people for things, but even if you let them out for eight hours a day, the other sixteen is them stuck in cramped quarters. Cramped quarters, especially for male rats (which get quite large), can cause aggression or fighting, simply because there isn't enough space and they're getting crabby towards one another. And unsupervised free roam can be extremely dangerous, especially if they get stuck, loose, or they chew on something they shouldn't be.
I understand money can be an issue, but Petsmart carries off-brand double critter nations (such as All Living Things) and they sell Midwest's single critter nation cage for less than $200USD. All of these cages I mentioned are less than $200USD and, as long as they're marketed towards chinchillas or ferrets, should be appropriately sized for pet rats.
I'm not trying to come off as mean, rude, or like I'm attacking you, I'm just trying to giving you friendly advice. Happy, healthy rats are friendly rats.

And it's true, the rats may not always utilize the extra space, but that extra space can give them a chance to be away from each other. Rats get in bad moods too and want to be left alone. I have Midwest's Double Critter Nation and I have adult male rats. They always hang out on the upper half, save for one or two rats who hang out in the bottom half, but that extra space gives them the opportunity to get away from each other and do their own thing every once and a while.

Idk really where to put this. I thought this is the best spot. But my quetion is, whenever im not holding my rats, they just sit on top of their food hopper and stare at me begging me to get them out. What im pondering is... is there anyway to give them somthing to do? I put alfalfa hey(dust free) in their hopper for them to build a nest. But they still seem board. Any ideas?

I always let my girls out to run around, but in their cage I have found they love the Snak Shack. I get the larger size and you can find on Amazon or Pet Smart. It's like a log they can use as a house, plus it's edible and hard so great for their teeth. I put fun fresh veggie/fruit skewers about once a week tied to the bars and they enjoy that. Changing out toys is always good too.

Just be careful with the edible logs and huts. They are made with honey, and instead of chewing them and spitting them out, rats tend to eat them, and they can cause blockages. There are many things on the market for rabbit, rats, Guinea pigs, and mice that shouldn't be. It's way healthier and safer to make their edible toys and treats. Just FYI. ;)

Back