Emergency! What to do.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
When you are faced with a rat emergency you need to remain calm. Many times you think it's worse when it actually isn't.

1. First thing you do is call a vet.
2. If a vet is not available tend to you rat. Keep him warm and hydrated. If rat is bleeding, apply pressure. If rat is gasping, bring into the bathroom and turn on the shower for steam or boil a kettle near the rat. If the rat is choking do nothing, chances are they will come out of it themselves. If the rat has been degloved (tail loses it's skin it can be just a bit at the tip or a lot of it where there's a lot of bone or cartilage exposed) and it's not bleeding, give metacam or ibuprofen and keep the rat in a clean habitat.
3. Check the forums. Any forums for information and POST A THREAD!
4. PM someone you know who is knowledgeable about rats.

If anyone else have suggestions please contribute to this thread.

The reason I prefer people to post about it so they can get several responses. Not everyone knows what to do in an emergency, I've even seen the wrong advice given... for example, you shouldn't give metacam or ibuprofen when a rat is bleeding, it thins the blood and could cause a more serious hemorrhage.

ChrisK said:
I'd also check in on chat, if anyone is on at the time.

Another reason to use a post instead of Chat is that the info about the situation and the suggestions and the outcome will be there for the next time someone encounters a similar situation. My emergencies usually happen late at night when few people are on.

Also, please post the thread in accurate language.

"OMG HELP WHAT DO I DOOOOOOOO???????"

is less helpful for others than

"My rat is choking, help!"

DadRat said:
Also, please post the thread in accurate language.

"OMG HELP WHAT DO I DOOOOOOOO???????"

is less helpful for others than

"My rat is choking, help!"

^^^THIS. Even with non emergency posts, posting a new thread for which the subject line is "Don't know what to do" "Can't decide, Help!" "Our new problem" "My rat is acting weird" are unhelpful. If I have 15 minutes free to check the forum, I may or may not read that thread, but if it says "Tail bleeding!" or "Mites?" and I know the topic is something that I personally have knowledge about and can help with, I will definitely click on it, read and respond.

ChrisK said:
I'd also check in on chat, if anyone is on at the time.

Chat can be a great tool but I've seen people give pretty incorrect info in chat. Everyone needs to remember that the forum does have a search tool, which can be pretty useful.

thanks for starting this thread jo :joy: its a good one and something we may not really think about til necessity strikes

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=294

I think keeping a first aid kit around is always helpful... So i figured i'd repost the link here so people can see what kinds of things might ne necessary.

Mine isn't as intense as the ones posted there, I've got sterile saline for washing out injuries, gauze, tape, extra beds, a few clean towels baby cereal and a can of ensure... 3 days of extra food and water... (more for like evacuation emergencies.) then i've got a paper with the Animal posion control number (1-800-548-2423 in america) the vet I prefer, and an emergency vet who will see rats...

This is an old thread, I dunno how it came up, but I read it and you can't cover more situations more succinctly than that, Excellent post Jo!
I scrolled down to post that you should define 'degloving' as not everyone would know what it was and the question came up, lol (good for you jenfoxworth for asking) so I'd have to say the post is perfect.

You could refine it tho? I'm thinking maybe in The Rat Shack bar at the top you could put an emergency symbol like an ambulance has and link to this perfect in-a-panic post, but have each symptom word be a click-on link to more extensive info about that particular thing. Would be quick & easy help for those in a can't-find-things panic..

I'd have to find the links to the symptoms first. And there can be so many. Unless I link to the ratguide.

As for putting it up on the bar, I'm not sure if that would be better than where it is already in the emergency section of the forum.

Back