[emergency] Rat eye exploded overnight

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SneakyDot

Hello, and i know i'm new. I'm really scared, though. I have two ratties, sisters, and their names are sneaky and dot. They get along great, but sneaky has a habit of escaping thecage. this morning, i woke up to sneaky thrashing and squealing like crazy. I picked her up and managed to calm her down, only to see that one of her eyes had popped. I can't get her to the vet like this, and my vet can't tell me how to stabilize her over the phone. help!
sneaky.jpg

Sorry, I don't know the vets in your area, but I agree, the sooner you get her to the vet's, the better. Won't your vet get her in on emergency to at least evaluate her and see what needs to be done?

Call the vets in your area, especially those who do exotics. I've tried googling vets in your area but cannot pinpoint exotic ones specifically, nonetheless there are bond to be some that will look into you rat like banefield hospital prehaps. Tell them its an emergency and its a rat and if they have an exotic or rodent expert in their staff asap.

If the eye has stopped bleeding you need to control the pain. You can pick up infant liquid ibuprofen (Advil dye-free grape flavour is one most rats like).

I would definitely contact Rat Chick Rescue, as they will know the local vets and who can help you in this situation.

Sadly rats can rupture their eyeballs, most times the eye shrinks up over weeks and although blind the rat is fine. Other times the eye swells out of the head where they cannot close their eye, and this is when they need surgical intervention.

Pain control and antibiotics are probably all you need right now.

http://ratfanclub.org/vetref.html
Scroll down to Pennsylvania, there is a bunch. Not sure if in your area, but can you drive or get someone to drive?

Your rattie must be in discomfort and it is dangerous to have a wound like that, and she neeeeeds vet care. :(
lilspaz knows a lot about eye issues, she is right, pick up some children's medication and dose your rat for now. Good luck with your baby and finding her a vet. How is she now?

Jesseferd said:
Omg:-(
I am a big ball of anxiety after reading that! I wish we had an update. :'(

Take a deep breath Jesseferd, that member has not posted on here since 10:16 am of January 16th, and we likely will never hear what happened :(

She never got most of the replies/recommendations or help either. :(

That's just so sad. This forum is an awesome tool to make life better for us and our rats. To have the advice and guidance there, and still remain ignorant to it, is just selfish.

Jesseferd said:
That's just so sad. This forum is an awesome tool to make life better for us and our rats. To have the advice and guidance there, and still remain ignorant to it, is just selfish.
I think you are being pretty quick to assume that this person is selfish and "remaining ignorant" out of their own accord. You have no idea what happened-- the rat may have died shortly after posting this thread, the member's internet could have died, he may have posted threads on different websites and received advice faster, he may have taken it to a vet, etc. I wouldn't even point this out, except that this isn't the first time that you are being a little rude in your replies- mostly I'm speaking of the other reply about the home made rat food question. Part of what makes this forum so awesome is because of the advice and guidance as you said, but also because of how respectful and nice all the members are. Please, if you don't have anything nice or helpful to say, do not say it. :(

They may be busy tending to their little baby after getting help and haven't had time to get online. Sometimes my boys take all my free time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I wasn't assuming anything, that was in response to the comment that said that they hadn't taken previous advice. Ignoring advice and guidance from such a caring and knowledgeable community, would be a pretty accurate definition of ignorance.
As for the eye situation, my assumption was exactly what you said. That they were busy tending to that poor little rat. I sure hope everything is OK!

Im reading over the comments you're referring to, and I'm a little lost. I'm sorry if I have offered you in any way. The *facepalm* comment is in reference to an Internet meme. Multiple people were giving advice as to what food was healthiest for the rat, and they were shut down. I stand by my facepalm!

Back