Emergency eye surgery

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need a vet anywhere between ottawa and toronto that can remove a rats eye like now. My vet in kingston is out until next wednesday.
Dr. Munn in toronto might be able to see him next week i wont know until tomorrow.
Liston in ottawa isnt taking any new patients.
Carling and lynwood in ottawa are booking into late september assuming no cancellations, i can keep calling for cancellations but i am just getting back to work and i cant just take off in the middle of the day.
I took him to see a vet who gave him pain medicine and eye drops in hopes in would last til my vet was back on wednesday but he is literally attempting to claw the eye out of his head with his back feet. He is digging at it constantly. It is clearly infected.
The only other thing that vet is willing to do was euthanasia.
Im looking for a list of vets that could potentially do this surgery anywhere in the area.

Hes a happy health 7 month old with a good heart and lungs. Hes active, hes eating, hes drinking. I dont want to put him down, but if i cant find anyone to do it in the next few days ill have to. Hes going to end up scratching it out of his head and bleeding to death or something

Can you post a pic, and message lilspaz68 and ask her to look at this thread asap? She will give you really good direction, and I think she uses Dr. Munn.

20200828_010705.jpg

Blurry but hes kinda skittish and not super handlable
20200828_011239.jpg

Ill message her now thank you

Dr. Munn has done my enucleations for all my rats. He's excellent. Have you called and sent pics? They will probably book him ASAP as a more emergent case. How bad does it smell? That's key to how bad the infection is. If it's just a nasty ruptured eye with no infection yet it will just smell bloody.

No real smell yet. I called last night but he had already left. They promised to call me back tomorrow.
Im glad to hear hes got experience the others there really didnt seem sure he could do it at all

I have had 5-6 enucleations done with him over the years. No smell is good :)

I would call again today. The one thing they aren't always the best at is calling you back.

I just wanted to say thank you I found a vet a little closer to me that could do the surgery sooner. Peetrie made it through the surgery great and is nearly comply healed now. Back to normal and really doesnt seem to even notice its missing.
20200915_140536.jpg

Back