'Ello Poppets

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Casper

Hi, my name is Sam (i know my username is jimmy casper - i just like that name). I got my first two rats yesterday (Friday the 3rd). I have yet to name them. I was thinking along the lines of Lenin and Trotsky (I am not a communist) . Or maybe somthing Greek or Roman. Umm...Found this sight from a link from goosemoose, thought it would be cool to join. Yup, that's about it! :coffee:

I was actually considering those names very much. Romulus was the founder of Rome, and Remus was his brother, who Romulus killed.

Unfortunately I think Romulus might be dying. They are both sneezing, and now one of them is making a funny breathing noise, and might have pneumonia.
I can't get to any vets, and i just don't know what to do. I just bought them yesterday.

Jimmy Casper said:
I was actually considering those names very much. Romulus was the founder of Rome, and Remus was his brother, who Romulus killed.

Unfortunately I think Romulus might be dying. They are both sneezing, and now one of them is making a funny breathing noise, and might have pneumonia.
I can't get to any vets, and i just don't know what to do. I just bought them yesterday.

If it was just sneezing alone that would be one thing but as soon as you add that 2nd symptom, then you have a URI (upper respiratory infection) developing most likely. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be bought at petstores or drugstores to cure them. They need antibiotics from a vet to be cured. There are things you can do to make them more comfortable until you see a vet though.

Welcome and hopefully we can help you find a vet near you.

Welcome to the forum Sam... I just went through the same thing with three rats I got. It's really hard. I wish you all the luck.

well that's not a good beginning now is it!? :(

Sneezing, from what I understand, can come from being nervous about "new surroundings" but the wheezing is a different story and needs to be checked on by a vet.

Have you heard of the Rat Lady? If not, you may want to check out her website. Her name is Debbie Ducummon and you can check out her site at
http://ratfanclub.org/helpinfo.html.

Some vets are critical of her because she is not a vet but she does have some valuable info on her site which has helped me.

I hope no one minds that I've provided this info. Please let me know if it is against the rules.

Thanks

Welcome! I hope your little guys got a chance to get vet care. they probably need antibiotics, not just to survive but to prevent scarring of the lungs. I wonder if vets ever do phone consults for people living in remote areas. I've often wondered about taking a video of my Rhonda's breathing, to minimize the number of times she has to go in to the vets personally (it's stressful for her to travel).

Do they have names yet? if you're giving them Greek names, can't get more typical than Dimitri and Tasos.

Back