elderly rat with repeat seizures

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay O.

Hello all! My lil angel is 4 days away from her 3rd birthday, but has been on the outs for about a month. As expected, her back legs began to atrophy, we have had several tumors on her belly removed, only one having returned and is growing pretty rapidly. But due to her age and the fact that she has been eating/drinking just fine on her own, I've decided to leave alone for now.

For 48-72 hours now I believe she has had at least 5 seizures. Two of them since I've been holding her for the last two hours. When I got to her this morning, I thought she was just passing away...but seeing the drool and all, I suspect it was just a seizure. The first one I witnessed lasted about 2 mins, and was quite noticeable. The second one wasn't so prominent, but she's just so worn out.

I scheduled with the vet, soonest I could get in was 6pm...4 hours from now. Is it cruel to wait that long or should I try some other locations? Unfortunately we only have two vets who handle rats within a 100 mile radius. =( I just hate to see her suffer for longer than she has to.

Back