Elderberry Syrup Safe?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

ALittleMischief

We just got new rats (although have had them in the past), 15 weeks old, and sneezing. Could be just the new environment but made an appointment with vet for Wednesday anyway. In the meantime, I make homemade Elderberry syrup for my family for cold and flu season as it's a good immune booster, as well as antimicrobial, antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral, etc, and I know it's safe for my dogs as well, just not sure about the rats. Ingredients are: Water, Honey, Elderberries, ginger, cloves, sage, and thyme (in order of amounts). All ingredients except the honey are cooked, berries mashed, then strained and only juice is used. I really think this might help quite a bit but not exactly certain all ingredients are safe for rats.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! Many thanks!

We just got new rats (although have had them in the past), 15 weeks old, and sneezing. Could be just the new environment but made an appointment with vet for Wednesday anyway. In the meantime, I make homemade Elderberry syrup for my family for cold and flu season as it's a good immune booster, as well as antimicrobial, antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral, etc, and I know it's safe for my dogs as well, just not sure about the rats. Ingredients are: Water, Honey, Elderberries, ginger, cloves, sage, and thyme (in order of amounts). All ingredients except the honey are cooked, berries mashed, then strained and only juice is used. I really think this might help quite a bit but not exactly certain all ingredients are safe for rats.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! Many thanks!

Oh and forgot to mention as I'm sure some will ask. Rat's are both otherwise healthy, no red at eyes or nose, no wheezing, good appetite and energy level, fleece bedding and paper litter (both low/no dust), only use dilluted white vinegar for cleaning and dermatologist approved laundry soap free of dyes and scents. Only use Oxbow and Mazuri food with organic veggies/foods and gerber puffs. I'm pretty sure we're doing everything right so I'm thinking possible secondary infection caused by the stress of the move from one home to the other?

I really don't know about those ingredients or the product of their combination as they interact. I don't believe that they are on the forbidden foods list - you can check. Lilspaz68 and Jorats can give you a more informed answer
It may be a myco flare up brought on by the stress, in which case they need antibiotics (such as baytril) http://ratguide.com/health/bacteria/mycoplasma_mycoplasmosis.php
If it is a secondary infection then they need antibiotics (such as clavamox) immediately as secondary infections kill very fast http://ratguide.com/health/lower_respiratory/pneumonia.php

Those ingredients sound ok. I'd remove the sugar/honey for the rats. Do something more natural like perhaps apple juice for sweetness.

I've used the Elderberry chewable tabs for the past 11 years with rats. They are now available on Amazon. No adverse affects what so ever. In fact I noticed a difference within about 5 days in sneezing rats. I quarantine all newcomers. Sometimes they sneeze adjusting to the new environment.

I've used the Elderberry chewable tabs for the past 11 years with rats. They are now available on Amazon. No adverse affects what so ever. In fact I noticed a difference within about 5 days in sneezing rats. I quarantine all newcomers. Sometimes they sneeze adjusting to the new environment.
Could you please tell me which ones? I saw this and ordered some from Amazon, they just came and they have horsetail extract in them, I can't find any information about that being a safe ingredient or not.

Back