Echinacea

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattikins

Some of you guys mentioned putting some Echinacea in my little ones water to help her.

How much do you put in there? Have you had good experience with this actually working?

Thank you!!

It depends on what form you're using- do you have dried echinacea, tablets, drops?

Echinacea will help strengthen her immune system. It DOES work in this regard-for people and animals-but it depends on what you're using it for (I can't remember if it was to treat or prevent Myco, or something else?). Echinacea can be bitter and some of my rats will drink it, some won't unless there's a bit of sweetener in it like honey. You just have to make sure not to use it constantly (some people would suggest a week on, 3 off, or 2 on 2 off, etc.) as the body quickly becomes used to it and it loses its affect.

Edit- here's some links:

Spazrat's posted a lot of info here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 629AAOErjE

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/herbal.htm
http://ratguide.com/meds/herbals_health ... inacea.php

I use it, you have to take a break with it though, so I buy childrens and it's normally cherry flavour and I make sure there isn't an alcohol in it (you can find it). I give them 5 drops once a day on a piece of bread (very small piece) or I have placed a cheerio in a bowl and put the 5 drops into the center and let it soak for the night or day. I do a regime of 2 weeks on, one week off. I have a few that are nasaly and this helps them.

I don't feel that is treats anything really but to strenghten the immune system so the little sniffles etc don't pop up.

I wouldn't put it in water, you don't really know how much they get.

LA said:
I use it, you have to take a break with it though, so I buy childrens and it's normally cherry flavour and I make sure there isn't an alcohol in it (you can find it). I give them 5 drops once a day on a piece of bread (very small piece) or I have placed a cheerio in a bowl and put the 5 drops into the center and let it soak for the night or day. I do a regime of 2 weeks on, one week off. I have a few that are nasaly and this helps them.

Would this help make her current issues with sneezing go away or is this more of a general preventative measure?

Thank you so much!!!!

It depends on what's causing the sneezing. If it's Myco then it may help reduce the symptoms, but I believe a trip to the vet will be needed regardless. It certainly won't hurt. Again, it's purpose is to strengthen the immune system, so if something's already there, it will help fight it, and if nothing's there, it will help prevent it. But is it that, or possibly irritation from bedding or dust or something?

If yours is alcohol-based you can steam it off-Spazrats describes how do to this in the link.

Most people would say 1-2 drops a day per rat, however you want to provide it (2 drops/ounce of water is what one site suggests) but really no one knows the exact amounts for rats. It's rather safe though and I would rather give a bit more than needed than not enough to actually have any affect.

I mix a few drops of it in baby food, baby cereal, etc. occasionally just as a boost for my ratties. I'd recommend that, as in the water might not taste too good. Whether or not it will help, I don't know, but it's worth a shot.

I bought what they had. It's 400 mg echinacea capsules. The bottle says you can open them and make a tea.

Is this what I wanted?

Please advise. Thanks! :D

Well, liquid is better, but I'm sure you can open the capsules and put some of the powder in. I'm not sure how much, though, as with the liquid I only put like 1-3 drops, so it's not a lot.

Ktina said:
Well, liquid is better, but I'm sure you can open the capsules and put some of the powder in. I'm not sure how much, though, as with the liquid I only put like 1-3 drops, so it's not a lot.

Where can I buy the liquid kind?

Drugstores generally have echinacea drops, but naturopathy/organic shops would as well. Lots of naturopathy shops will also order things like that for you if they don't have them in stock.

One drop of echinacea tincture = approximately 2.6 mg of echinacea (for what I have on hand although it will vary), so working with the capsules might be difficult.

Back