Easiest to clean?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use plastic dish drain trays from the dollar store on R695 balconies, cut to fit and held on with 1 or 2 cable ties.

On the full level, I cut a piece of linoleum to fit. I do not use the stick on kind - can only imagine what that might do to the powder coating.

As for the martins ramps - cover them with a sock - then just throw it in the laundry with the rest of the rattie laundry.

As for the flip lid, if your order hasn't been shipped, martins can still change that for you - though with extra large doors, I haven't really needed it.

Martins cages are wonderful!!!

PiedPiper said:
Okay, javakittie - I AM NOT A DO IT YOUR SELFER, so stop holding out on me! First someone recommends your hammocks and now the floor liners? C'mon give . . . do you have a website or something? :lol:

Speaking of which, where do all the rattie vendors hang out around here?

http://www.javakittie.com

And more rattie stuff in the Garage Sale forum... look at the stickied posts. :D

mamarat said:
It is my fav, like I said, I have 8 of them, some hooked together to make double and one with 3.

http://jorats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=902

:wow: Whoa! (she says in a hushed whisper).

"mamarat, we are not worthy, we are not worthy", she intones as she kneels, bows and scrapes her way out of the room.

:shock: I hope Natalie (that's my daughter, she's EarlGrey on this Forum) doesn't wander into this thread!!!

javakittie said:
WOOT! A mom who does research!!!!! This deserves a happy dance! :happydance:

Awww shucks, javakittie. No worries about adopting MumsyRat's three babies into this house. PETS ARE FOR LIFE!!

javakittie said:
Corplast will be fine to use, just remember to wipe under them whenever you do a spot cleaning. When you scrub the cage, you can toss the pieces into a tub of soapy watery to clean all those grooves out, too.

Okay - that sounds easy enough. And if I were to cover the corplast (or whatever material we settle on) with a liner would that be better still . . . or would that be overkill?

javakittie said:
There's not really a way to make the flip top lid. If you cage has already shipped, you can order the flip top separately.

:doh: It's already shipped. I guess we'll just have to see how it goes. If it's too awkward to clean without the flip top lid we'll just order it separately.

javakittie said:
Anyone getting a Martin's!!! Use Zip [cable] ties instead of the c rings wherever possible!!! The rings are coated, so after a while they do start to smell funky. Unless you have a nifty tool [a c ring remover] you can damage the powdercoat taking the rings off. It's also easier to dismantle the cage if you ever need to.

Right . . . gotcha!

javakittie said:
For those saying they're not looking forward to the cleaning. It's really not that bad. You'll find what's easiest and best for you.

We'll find out soon enough!

mamarat said:
Yes, a layer of newspaper, then I do tie the fleece blankets over top. Here you can see the paper.

Okay, but I can't tell what you've used to tie it down with?

mamarat said:
It takes a night to destroy it all, but the rats are clean, for their little bodies that is, not their houses. lol

Then they should all get along famously . . . sounds just like my Natalie!!

mamarat said:
cagenewspaper.jpg

And who, pray tell, is the little cutie staring at me in the picture? Now that's got to be a different variety, isn't it? It's whiskers are curly!?!

SQ said:
I use plastic dish drain trays from the dollar store on R695 balconies, cut to fit and held on with 1 or 2 cable ties.

On the full level, I cut a piece of linoleum to fit. I do not use the stick on kind - can only imagine what that might do to the powder coating.

As for the martins ramps - cover them with a sock - then just throw it in the laundry with the rest of the rattie laundry.

Cover the ramps with a sock?!? What an exquisitely simple idea! You guys are ingeneous!

SQ said:
As for the flip lid, if your order hasn't been shipped, martins can still change that for you.

Too late Holly, it's gone already.

SQ said:
Though with extra large doors, I haven't really needed it.

Martins cages are wonderful!!!

That's good to know! Can't wait to get it already! We've gotten so many really excellent ideas from all of you, our heads are just spinning!

Thank you all very, very much!

PiedPiper said:
mamarat said:
Yes, a layer of newspaper, then I do tie the fleece blankets over top. Here you can see the paper.

Okay, but I can't tell what you've used to tie it down with?

The newspaper is just laid down and the fleece I wrap around two of the squares of the cage

blanketknot.jpg

mamarat said:

And who, pray tell, is the little cutie staring at me in the picture? Now that's got to be a different variety, isn't it? It's whiskers are curly!?!

That's Luna, my little park girl. She's the same as my previous boys, dumbo double rex.

PiedPiper said:
mamarat said:
It is my fav, like I said, I have 8 of them, some hooked together to make double and one with 3.

http://jorats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=902

:wow: Whoa! (she says in a hushed whisper).

"mamarat, we are not worthy, we are not worthy", she intones as she kneels, bows and scrapes her way out of the room.

:shock: I hope Natalie (that's my daughter, she's EarlGrey on this Forum) doesn't wander into this thread!!!

Ahaha, too late :)
Those are gorgeous!
I'm putting together my boys' toys right now :D

Ack! I somehow missed all these responses!!! Thanks, Jo, for posting my website! And thanks Godmother for the kind words! I'm so happy you and your kiddos enjoy my products!

PiedPiper, I don't think anything is overkill when it comes to my cage. Lilspaz likes to make fun of me for all the things I do for my girls. Anything that keeps me from having to clean the cage too often is just fine by me, too. Cage cleaning means less time with my babies, and we just can't have that.

As for being ingenious, we've all become obsessed. You look at things that you never would have thought of and dream of ways to make it into something to put in the cage. From corner shelves to shower racks to place mats to toilet paper. The Dollar Store will be your new favorite place. Loads of good stuff there!

mamarat said:
That's Luna, my little park girl. She's the same as my previous boys, dumbo double rex.

Okay. I give up. What's a dumbo double rex? I'm assuming that dumbo refers to the size of her ears (not her IQ), and I think a rex is a curly coat texture, what's a double rex?

I had no idea that there were many different varieties.

A double rex loses and grows back hair in patches. Sometimes they look naked too, you never know what you'll wake up to, they can look different from one day to the next. It's so fun to watch. Yes, dumbo refers to their huge ears.

javakittie said:
Anything that keeps me from having to clean the cage too often is just fine by me, too.

I'm with you on that one!

javakittie said:
As for being ingenious, we've all become obsessed. You look at things that you never would have thought of and dream of ways to make it into something to put in the cage. From corner shelves to shower racks to place mats to toilet paper. The Dollar Store will be your new favorite place. Loads of good stuff there!

LOL! Natalie and I have already started trawling dollar stores for stuff for the rats and yes, you do start to look at things in a brand new light!

Just as an update, our Martin's is here! We've got it three quarters of the way assembled and we're keeping our fingers crossed that we'll be able to bring our new babies home before the end of the week!

Thanks again to everyone for all your great suggestions and support!

Back