Easiest to clean?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronwyn

I've been browsing a number of pet store sites to see what my options are for the cage upgrade. Size of course is the number one priority but being able to clean it without too much trouble is next.

The one I have now I just pop into the basement shower which no one uses and it's a breeze. In Kingston I did the same with one of the bathrooms no one used. However the apartment in Guelph only has one bathroom so I'm worried about grossing out my housemate, even if I clean the tub after, lol.

That's a tangent.

Point is I've seen many lovely setups but they're at least two or three different brands. Do you guys have preferences? I think cages with flat levels would be easier than wires but other than that I'm not sure how to evaluate.

Tricky situation because of the room mates. You could try to negotiate with them, but it might be like... :hithorse: (gotta try out some of the new emoticons :) )

I loved being able to take a cage to the shower, but that only works for small cages.

I find the FN easy because the floors are solid and pullout, the ramps are easily removable (they get the grungiest), and the sides can be easily wiped because the wires are spaced so far.

Even a small cage, you can just do a good scrub down right where it sits. You just need a big container for your water and some towels.
Petsmart has some decent cages for two rats. There's the red and white one, all wire, I believe it's called All Living Things or something like that? Then there's the Super Pet Deluxe critter home.

You can also put linoleum down over top of a wire floor -- I tried the sticky backed kind and it didn't really work, but on RR a member posted that she just cuts a roll to fit the cage exactly. No cracks for pee to get into that way, and no sticky stuff. I imagine that would be quite easy to wipe up daily.

That being said, I clean my wire cages in our regular (only) bathtub using the shower... and just clean the bathtub with some Comet afterward so that it is ready for bathing activities again after. :)

You're awfully considerate! I've had some roommates I'd worry about grossing out my poor ratties cleaning their cage in the same shower the roommate used. :lol:
I can't suggest a cage, I like tall & skinny for active younger kids but long, wide & low for older kids. I'd have chosen for my ratties - not my roommates, but maybe that's why nobody will live with me but ratties :p

I think the Ferret group in Ottawa has some used cages for sale. There is a super pet cage (wide bar spacing so not good for small rats) that is 40 in long, 18 wide and about 3 feet tall Should fit in a tub ok and the pee rivers in the shelves are shallow and shelves are detachable. I was thinking of getting one but ...
http://ferretrescue.ca/shopping2.php#Used%20Cages

I cover the wire floors in my custom built monster martins cage with linoleum down over top of the wire floors -- I cut a roll to fit the cage exactly. Works great and easy to keep clean.

I really like the martins R695 with extra large doors and pull out tray for easy cleaning. I cover all wire floors so they just wipe clean.

I also like the Ferret Nation, tho you have to watch the large bar spacing. And be very careful of the doors.

Thank you for all that input! It's really appreciated.

Shelagh emailed me a couple of links, one homes a bunny, and has a clear top that I think can be removed (if not I'll make it, lol) so I can stick the top of my current cage onto that one assuming the price is right (still waiting to hear back). So it's a bigger cage PLUS bonus of being able to make it even bigger with the one I have. :)

Hehe I was going to ask what FN stood for but was too embarassed. ;D I should have figured that out.

Bar spacing I think should be a worry too. The girls aren't young anymore, so at some point a small one will likely be joining the cage. I'm guessing the FN wouldn't work with that...are Martins meant for ferrets as well?

About the tub: I did scrub it down with Comet every time :lol: I guess rat phobic housemates weren't a good match for them, haha. It was more the concept I think that they were bathing where the rat droppings and stuff went, lol.

I have a Martin 695 and I pop it in the shower to clean it as well. I cover the levels with plastic canvas that is used for needle point. Every three or four days I pull out the canvas and rinse it so I only have to hose the entire cage down every two weeks or so. That works better than the linoleum for me. I felt like the linoleum was stinkier and the needlepoint canvas is cheaper to replace. Just my two cents.

Thanks so much you guys :) I can't wait to go cage shopping. Assuming this used one I'm looking at doesn't work out, lol.

It looks like you can only order Martins but maybe I have that wrong?

For some very strange reason I've always loved cage shopping. Even as a third grader, the cage purchase was almost as exciting as buying the hamster, haha. You'll definitely get photos. :D

Oh! Stupid question: how far apart can the bars be? I can just see myself messing that one up. These two are fairly big but if I were to add a third or fourth when the time is right I don't want any escapees. Much like the time I woke up in the middle of the night, turned on the light, and saw my ten babies exploring the bedroom with my cat sitting in the middle of the lot, quite unsure of what to do or who to focus on. :lol:

Try and find a cage where the spacing is closer than 1". So that may leave all the ferret cages out but some chinchilla ones may work.

You should see me cage shopping, even when I'm not looking for one. I remember once, Shelagh, Vanessa, Nicole and I were doing pet stores in TO, it was too funny, me looking and drooling over all the cages. That's when Shelagh dubbed me the cage ho. :rofl3:

LOL! Oh good I thought I was crazy loving cages, even when only looking. :laugh:

PJ's at Yorkdale and Superpet on Yonge (north of Lawrence) have pretty good collections, at least to satisfy the burning question, "Which would I buy??"

lilspaz68 said:
'scuse me, that was the Cage Whore (deserves capitalization). She and Nic were hilarious when we were shopping! :lol3:

I love cage shopping!!! It usually means we are adding to the population in the house :toothy1:

I just love shopping for my pets. I wish I had people to go with, it drives my bf crazy, lol (also sucks without a car and he has to carry most of the stuff). :evilwink:

At the risk of being chased off this post, :giggle: I think Martins are the worse for cleaning! I do like my Martins 695 but what a pain in the butt to clean!! :gaah: I also have a ferret cage that's much easier to clean because of the wide bar spacing - pee doesn't get caught in cracks like the Martins.

LOL thank you for your input :D Sorry I totally forgot the original topic! Oops!

But I also agree with wanting someone to shop with - anyone I go with can't seem to wait to get out of there! Like today! I was browsing all the cages and my mum was just dying.

Oh, I checked out that Rabbit Home thinger that so many seem to be selling and the space between the bars makes me nervous, though it was a little under an inch. I looked odd trying to measure the bar spacings, hehe.

Back