Ear infection meds

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomeringue

Hi, I've just joined the forum as I am looking after two gorgeous rats and one of them is unwell, having developed a head tilt today or possibly yesterday. I took him to the vet and got a 9 day course of steroid (Prednisolone) and a three week course of antibiotic (Marbocyl/marbofloxacin). I just wanted to check that these medications are ok, as the ones I usually see mentioned are Dexamethasone and Baytril. Can someone help? I've only been looking after the rats for a few days but seeing him all wonky has really upset me!

Thank you lilspaz, I see references to you all over this community and I see why! It feels reassuring to have that nagging doubt removed. I fed Gary his first dose of oral meds today. No drama at all, I mixed the crushed steroid pill and mixed it with the liquid antibiotic with a teeny bit of maple syrup in a little bowl, and he ate it all right away. I'm going to buy some malt paste and dog peanut butter today so I can mix it up a bit and try to keep him keen, I've heard these are both good.

Now I just wait and hope that he gets better!

Last edited:
Ok, took me a little longer than expected but I managed to weigh him! He's ~530 g.

EDIT: oops, I forgot the doses.
Prednisolone: 0.5 mg daily for 3 days then 0.25 mg for 6 days
Marbofloxacin 1% oral: 0.25 ml daily for 3 weeks

It's probably time I posted some pics of the little guy.

IMG20210726124000.jpg
IMG20210725233940.jpg
IMG20210723085133.jpg

Resurrecting this thread.

My ratty made a good recovery and finished the 3 week course of antibiotics. The last week or so I've noticed his tilt is getting worse though. He doesn't have any signs of being ill, he's not lethargic etc. and the balance really doesn't seem to be getting any worse (falling over etc.), just the head tilt. Does this mean the infection is flaring up again, or is this just some after-effect of the previous flare up?

Head tilt will usually remain after the infection has cleared. 3 weeks should be enough to cure an uncomplicated ear infection so just keep an eye on him for more balance issues than usual, and other symptoms of feeling unwell.

Back