Ear Infection in Dog?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilez_n_hugs

Since I know many of you have dogs and I am stuck at work for the day either way I am looking for some advice. On Sunday Harley, my pomchi, started showing signs of an ear infection (scratching the ear a lot, slight head tilt, holding his ear back, smell of infection, some brown crap in his ear when I cleaned it with a q-tip). With it being a holiday weekend I decided to try polysporin ear/eye drops and by Monday morning he was back to normal. However last night (I'll admit after forgetting to do morning ear drops) I got a whiff of his ear and I can still smell infection. I am due to go out of town tomorrow and will be gone until Sunday and Harley will be staying with my roommate.

I called the vet this morning (not my normal vet with me being in Northern Manitoba) and of course they are all booked. So my debate is do I keep trying the polysporin drops or do I pay the emergency fee? Right now my gut is saying emergency fee but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask you guys.

I would say continue the ear drops for at least 7-10 days. Make sure the roommate knows how to & will do it while you are gone - every day. If you have an ear wash for dogs, I would use that real good once , wait several hours, then start the drops back up. It will help flush out any "crap" that might be in there.

Then after you get back & the pup is not improving , take him to the vet.
I don't think I would consider this an emergency unless they were extremely red & swollen inside. Sounds like it is not an out of control situation.

Last edited:
I was thinking I should get an ear wash. I should just be able to buy that at the vet's office without a prescription right?

I am waiting for a call back from my good vet at home to see what she thinks.

yeah - they can sell it to you w/o prescription or vet visit.
My dog is the queen of ear & skin problems!

Back