Dumbo's

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa's ZOO

Has any one else noticed that their dumbo furkids are non stop going. I have three Jazmine, Willow(also hairless) and Mimzy. These three refuse to be held for longer than a second and they are constantly on the move.

Maybe it is just my girls.

My standard eared girls who are the same age they are and are lazy and like being held not to thrilled to run around and play like my dumbo girls do.

We have had dumbo before but I found when we first got our new dumbo she was like that. Now she has slowin down and lets you pet and cuddle her.

Ann

Emily is my only Dumbo and I find her to be way more active then the rest of them lol She's so high strung it's funny. If I put my hand over her and kinda rough up her fur she'll bounce around and hide then come right back for more lol She's so funny. She wants to be the alpha soooo bad she'll try and pin gloria down and chase her around but Gloria shows her who's the number one rat lol

That is exactly how my girls are. Willow and Mimzy both if I touch them they run off in fits of pop corning and whoever happens to be in their way gets flipped and pouched all over it is hilarious. Non of my standard girls ever did that. They would just bounce a little and then go on about their business.

Oh and Mimzy is fricken nuts, when I go to leave their free range area she will leap onto my pant leg. One time she did while I was in mid swing over the enclosure and she went flying. I thought I killed her she flew so far, but by the time I got to her she was off to explore the area she had landed in. She is crazy.

Jazmine not so much she is about 17 months but she still hates to be held and would rather roam and hump everyone. :wink:

lol awww I could so picture that. Emily will do that too...well most of them do actually. If I'm going to get up off the bed they follow along the edge to try and get to me and when I get close enough they're latch on to my leg or if I put my hand down to pick them up they hug my hand so I can take them with me lol They're so funny

I don't think that it's necessarily a dumbo or standard thing. Firstly, my dumbos:
--Moosh is so calm we have to check for a pulse, we think me might be brain-dead until we see him fighting for HT blocks.
--Willow is rediculously calm and sweet and good natured.
--Brenna is a little spazy freak. She goes flying when you tickle the top of her head and goes into popcorn mode and runs back and forth trying to play tag.

Top Eared:
--Magnus- would rather oram and not be touched
--Mariusz would rather roam and not be touched. Both will run away and hide if you try to touch during play time.
--Baby Girl is a hyper little lady and is neurotic about her wheel. She isn't relly playfil or too spazy unless you touch her back in her "bad" spot or try to scruff her. Then she goes into over-drive and tries to tell the world that you are trying to kill her!
--Emma Lee is still to young to tell how she is going to be

Who knows... but it sure is fun to watch them spaz when you surprise them!!

Two of my rats "work" with disabled teens, (they go to work with me in the morning, at work they have a day-cage. They sleep on the lap of teens in wheelchairs, they like to be petted, the teens help cleaning their cage, ...)
My two little heroes they love doing this! One is top-eared, the other one is dumbo. Both of them are the calmest females you can get.

donshini said:
Two of my rats "work" with disabled teens, (they go to work with me in the morning, at work they have a day-cage. They sleep on the lap of teens in wheelchairs, they like to be petted, the teens help cleaning their cage, ...)
My two little heroes they love doing this! One is top-eared, the other one is dumbo. Both of them are the calmest females you can get.

That is really awesome that you do this with your rats, I LOVE to see the most misunderstood animals in world helping people. I also love it when you see Pit Bulls as therapy dogs, it just proves that you should never stereotype any animal.

edit: I guess my girls are just spastic nuts and I get the pleasure of non stop running freaks and loveable squisy's.

I wish I could help people that way, particularly with rats! My Golden is still a little two young to visit frail people (puppy energy!). Buuut my girls wouldn't be caught snoozing on a lap, lol.

my boy willow (dumbo) NEVER SLEEPS. I never catch him sleeping. everytime i move at all in the room or enter the room, he jumps up and is right at the side of the cage! He is non stop compaired to boo! :shock:

Wayne put it very nicely last night. Our Dumbos are over the top. Non stop going, attempting, trying new things. Even with Pearl badly far sighted, she's on the go to. She has a wonderful memory for things.

Back