Dresser cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffee Babies

Alright so I'm planning on building a cage from a dresser and I'd love to hear some feedback as I go. If possible I'd also like to hear from people who have done this already, what you would have done differently, and what you wouldn't change.

So far I have the dresser and a roll of chicken wire, I still need to get:
- Shelves
- Either wood sealer or peel and stick vinyl tile
- If needed I'll get metal corners to prevent chewing
- Wood and hinges for a door
- I have regular chicken wire but I'm wondering if it's necessary to get a coated roll?
- Screw in eyelets for hanging hammocks and ropes

I wanted to plan out how to do this before buying everything so if I'm missing anything on my list can you please point it out.

Attachments

• 20200605_110519.jpg
    20200605_110519.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 156
Is the chicken wire stainless? That would probably be best.

I also like some kind of metal or plastic tray for the floor that can be taken out and rinsed off. I made such a thing before out of a big 2'x3' sheet of galvanized steel that they sell at the hardware store for making your own HVAC ducts. I bent it into a 3-dimensional tray and then drilled and riveted the corners. I could dump the whole thing and then clean whatever dried urine made it through the bedding by running it under the hot water.

Is the wood sealer you speak of safe to eat?

Is the chicken wire stainless? That would probably be best.
Yes I'm pretty sure it's stainless

I also like some kind of metal or plastic tray for the floor that can be taken out and rinsed off.
Would this be used instead of a litter tray or for every level to add protection to the wood?

Is the wood sealer you speak of safe to eat?
I was thinking something like this:

Attachments

• 81dtPBJT0QL.jpg
    81dtPBJT0QL.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 158
Back