Doxy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dena

I have a 7 month old rat, who I've treated with cipro 2 different times, for 6 weeks each time, and the rattly breathing, and wheezy sounds won't go away. I just got doxy, but need to know how to mix it, and dosage. They are 100mg capsules. I'll get her weight in a min. She's a little on the small side.

mix your doxy capsule with 1.5 ml of water til dissolved then 3.5 ml of syrup (I usually make this one sweeter as doxy is quite bitter.

Let me know when you have a weight.

This stuff smells like a bad wine! No wonder it has to be doctored so much for them to take it! So far, my little trick of sticking the syringe through the cage bars, and calling the rat who needs to take it, is working! I think whichever rat is taking meds, laps it up as fast as possible, so their cagemates don't get a bit of whatever "good stuff" they think they are getting. It has worked like a charm for the last 6-7 months, for whatever rat, and whatever meds. Fingers crossed it keeps working, even with this yucky smelling medicine! 😂😂 I do immediately reward the rat with a cheerios or two, so hopefully it will keep working....😂

First of all, why didn't you first start with the "go to" URI antibiotic? But on that note, you think Doxycycline smells (tastes) horrible, you haven't tasted the "go to" antibiotic, which is SO bitter and disgusting that rats often won't touch it, even after you've added it to straight Maple syrup or something comparible. In fact, the injections can literally BURN them, causing an ugly burn bruise at the site. It's actually called: Baytril Burn, and is a well-known side-effect to vets, which is why it is diluted in a sweet solution when given orally and a sterile vehicle when given subcutaneously. In any case, why didn't you start with this antibiotic???

Because I have cipro, which is in the same family of antibiotics as baytril, and I can't afford to go to the vet right now, and pay over $100 to be told I'm doing the same thing they would, and them just prescribe baytril, and another med I already have (doxy). We have medical backgrounds and I have a couple of long time vet techs in my family, so most of the minor stuff I can take care of. She's not gasping, or puffy, or showing any signs of distress, and never has. I'm trying to nip it in the bud before it gets to that point. I have nursed many through this same issue, and taken many to the vet, just to be told I've already been doing exactly what needed to be done, and there was nothing else they could do differently. ☺️ But yes, baytril is a bit different, and works better, but in this case, I'm doing what I can. I've had a few on baytril, and my vet didn't tell me to refrigerate the mixture, and it fermented, and went bad. It was made from the pill form, and was supposed to be refrigerated. Lesson learned for both of us. Expensive lesson. But the baytril didn't do much better than the cipro. So right now I'll go with that. ☺️

I'm very confused as to the comments on this post. Dena had tried cipro alone, didn't quite work so wanted to add doxy to the mix, asked for help with dosing which I gave. There's a lot of finger pointing and comments about baytril burn? Baytril was never given, nor was there any suggestion of injecting baytril so did I miss something?

Hows Cotton doing now Dena?

Cotton is doing great! The sounds are almost completely gone. Only every now and then I'll hear a slight kind of grumbling from her when I hold her sides to my ears. It just sounds like as if you have a little something you need to clear out of your throat. She will sneeze a time or two, groom, and the sound is gone. So I'm hoping that means it's getting better. At least that's how it was when Taco was getting over something similar to this. She's no longer making the squeaky wheezy sounds (I could sometimes hear them a few feet away, when it was at its worst), and doesn't seem to have as much stuff on her nose. She never looked sick though, and didn't show signs, like puffy fur, loss of appetite, or lethargy. Just noisy breathing.

So I accidentally left the cipro out at room temp last night, but put it in the fridge this morning. Should I throw it out and make a new batch, or is it OK to use?

Back