Dosage help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessicac

Hello!

I have two rats that have chronic respiratory infections and they have been to the vet several times to diagnose this problem. I have researched and found that I can order the meds online and would like your help finding the proper dosages. I have them on a combination of 10% Enrofloxacin liquid and 50mg/ml Doxyvet liquid.

Their weight are:
Roxi 375 grams
Lilly 325 grams

Could you tell me the low and high end dosages?

Thanks so much :)

If you need answers quickly, you can always message lilspaz and ask. She's extremely smart, and may even be able to help you figure out what's going on with your rattie. Just video them breathing, and post on YouTube, then copy and paste the link on here. 😀

What I would like to do is mix each does with a little syrup. I do not want to premix several doses.

Also, do you have any suggestions on what to mix with? Roxi doesn't like strawberry quick anymore.

Ok so you want to use it undilluted and put it in food.
Try Smuckers Caramel Sundae Syrup
Roxi 375 grams
Lilly 325 grams

Roxi - doxy - 0.04 ml to 0.08 ml twice a day
Roxi - enro - 0.04 ml to 0.06 ml twice a day

Lilly - doxy - 0.03 ml to 0.07 ml twice a day
Lilly - enro - 0.03 ml to 0.05 ml twice a day.

Hello again,

Roxi has been on a combo of .08 ml of doxy and .06 ml of enro for about 4 months. In the last week she is sounding congested again. I was giving doxy in the morning and enro at night, but now I am giving both meds twice a day. I read The Rat Lady's article Respiratory and Heart Disease in rats, and am now using steam and vaporub twice a day. My question is there any home remedies you can suggest. Can her doxy or enro be increased? We don't live close to a rat vat, so I am limited to what I can order online or find in the drug store.

Has Roxi's weight changed?
How long ago did you start giving both antibiotics twice a day. Unless you doubled the dose to give each antibiotic once a day, then she's been underdosed.

I don't think her weight has changed, but I will check in a bit. She is in a steam room right now. I did double her dose so she was getting the right daily quaintly.

Also, could you answer another question. The doxy vet liquid is very thick and some always stays in the tip of the syringe. Is this little bit in the tip to be counted as part of the the measured dose? If so, anyone else have this problem and how do you remedy this?

Also, since she has been receiving an inadequate dose for a few months, and she is now sick, should I give her anything else to help her fight the infection. I read about Mucinex, or Sudafed, or other OTC things can help. She seems to be breathing okay (no labored breathing) but she is very wheezy. She is acting normally, so I have hope that we can still help her.

She is my daughter's rat, so we are really pulling for her! I have 3 daughters (we are new to rats) and they absolutely adore the rats (I do too). Who knew they could be such awesome pets!

Sorry, just realized I didn't fully answer lilspaz68's question. I just started giving both meds morning and night a few days ago.

Ahhh only a few days...give her at least a week on both meds twice a day and see if she has improved...don't expect a massive improvement though because she's been sick a long time.

Don't worry about the tiny bit in the end, the measurements on the syringe account for that difference.

Her new doses at 440 g will be.
Doxy - 0.09 ml twice a day.
Enro - 0.07 ml twice a day

Okay, I appreciate the information and letting me know what to expect.

I reweighed Lilly too, and she has gained. But oddly enough, she now ways what Roxi used to, so I have adjusted her doses too.

Hi again,

It's been about a week and I really haven't seen much change in Roxi. It's possible she is slightly better. She is acting normal, but she still sounds very congested when she is sniffing. We she is just siting there calm, I don't' notice any noise. So, should I continue the with the meds and see if she gets any better, or do I take the drive to the vet?

Back