Do young rats boggle, or just adults?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingosm8

Out of my six rats, just the 2 adult females have boggled. I was wondering if boggling is a learned behavior, and is done as the rats mature.

Although my rat Alfie seems happy, i cant say i've ever seen him boggle which has worried me into thinking he may not be as happy as i thought however he does seem to chatter ( Bruxx) which i also understand is a sign of pleasure.
Though to answer your question on Youtube i have seen both young and older rats boggle so i imagine they all can and its just a learning curve

Yvonne & Barry

I've seen young rats boggle. Boggling is part of bruxxing, just a more intense form. If you don't see a rat boggle, I don't think it means he/she is never content. :wink:

We have only recently been allowed to witness our rats boggling! Normally we are too busy trying to play with them or play with another rat that we probably have been int erupting this happy gesture every time we have been around to witness it! I look back on all those times that the rats have been on shoulders and listening to them brux, it makes me wonder how many times they were boggling but I couldn't see it. It's kind of like cockroaches and wind: just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not there! ;)

To answer the original question, little no name just boggled a tiny bit tonight! I'm pretty sure that she is only 4-5 weeks old, so I think that it's something they get better at as they get older. Maybe bigger, stronger teeth and jaws have something to do with it?

I worried about that too, not seeing boggling, lol. Then Brie did it last week! This is a rat with a tumor so if anything you wouldn't think she'd be one to start boggling now. It's pretty freaky, the first time you see it, haha.

Back