Quantcast

Do some rats not like to be held?

Help Support Rat Shack Forum:

dbrausen

Hi all! I've had my 3 ratties for about a month now. 2 of them are very social and love to be held and sit on my shoulder. The other one though is still very shy. She's comfortable enough to even walk on my hand but any move I make to pet her or pick her up she runs away terrified. Is this normal and should I just respect that she doesn't like this or is there a way to make her more comfortable being held? Thank you!

Big Schpog

I've got a shy rat too so we go slow with shoulder rides. Sometimes you gotta just break the ice with them, and when she finally realized how fun it was, she started requesting it. She will always be shy and part of it is her ruby eyes. She doesn't see as well as the other two. However, we have fun within her limits. Also, I allow her to be with the more confident rats on shoulder rides so she can mirror them and learn that it's fun and relaxing to explore.

Dena

Give them a little more time. Some rats just need more time to warm up to people. I have a couple of rats who would rather be on me than play during play time. It's just their personality. They are all different like us. 😁

Camelidae4

I'd give her some time. Some animals just don't ever enjoy certain things. There are things you can do to get her to warm up to handling, but I'd wait and see if she opens up anymore.

Latest posts