Do nematodes infect rats? Do rats infect people?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatsDrawBlood

Is it dangerous (for people) to have pet rats?
I was looking up how to keep rats from picking up fleas from soil in dig boxes. (It says you first bake the soil to kill any eggs/larvae/etc.)
Happened to notice it said put nematodes in your yard to help keep the soil from having fleas. (Says this is safe for the cats and dogs that play there.)
Looked up nematodes and it said they infect rats?
And says it can cause permanent damage to or kill humans!
Why are Garden Centers selling us a pathogen to add to our environment?!
Um, I obviously must be totally missing something.

"Angiostrongylus cantonensis is a parasitic nematode (roundworm) that causes angiostrongyliasis, the most common cause of eosinophilic meningitis in Southeast Asia and the Pacific Basin.[2] The nematode commonly resides in the pulmonary arteries of rats, giving it the common name rat lungworm. Snails are the primary intermediate hosts, where larvae develop until they are infectious.
Humans are incidental hosts of this roundworm, and may become infected through ingestion of larvae in raw or undercooked snails or other vectors, or from contaminated water and vegetables.[3] The larvae are then transported via the blood to the central nervous system, where they are the most common cause of eosinophilic meningitis, a serious condition that can lead to death or permanent brain and nerve damage.[4] Angiostrongyliasis is an infection of increasing public health importance, as globalization contributes to the geographic spread of the disease.[5]"

Nematodes are a BROAD category containing both beneficial and parasitic, both microscopic and worm-sized creatures. I highly doubt that the same species that is beneficial for a garden would happen to be the same one that would infect an animal.

Ah, yeah okay now that part makes complete sense. (And the kind that's good to put in your soil was referred to as worms. ) But ... it this really true that one can die from having a rat with this parasitic lung disease? (My housemate needs to be made to continue feeling on board with having rats around)!

I’m sure it is an extremely REMOTE possibility, but as your information above states, this is a problem in Southeast Asia. Are you living there or near there?

To my knowledge, roundworms are naturally in the soil ...... so people often get them, especially children
You can buy worm medicine for people
People get different types of roundworms then rats get http://ratguide.com/health/digestive/endoparasites.php
and it sounds like people get that particular type of roundworm from consuming sails :( (poor snails)

It sounds extremely dangerous for rats.
Treating rats with revolution not only kills fleas, lice and mites, but also kills internal parasites.
http://ratguide.com/meds/anti-infectives/selamectin_revolution.php

I’m sure it is an extremely REMOTE possibility, but as your information above states, this is a problem in Southeast Asia. Are you living there or near there?
Nope.
To my knowledge, roundworms are naturally in the soil ...... so people often get them, especially children
You can buy worm medicine for people
People get different types of roundworms then rats get http://ratguide.com/health/digestive/endoparasites.php
and it sounds like people get that particular type of roundworm from consuming sails :( (poor snails)
It sounds extremely dangerous for rats.
Treating rats with revolution not only kills fleas, lice and mites, but also kills internal parasites.
http://ratguide.com/meds/anti-infectives/selamectin_revolution.php
Okay so there're solutions for rat and human.
Well that's a first for me. Never heard of that. I've had pet rats for over 15 years and the worst I ever got was my allergies.
Glad that it's rare.
Thanks all!

Back