Do my rats not like me?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X

Xashemodeus

When we got our rats we did out best to let them adjust to their new home. My husband kept looking into the cage and trying to pet them. Now they will playfully nipple his hands and half crawl into his hands. While they will nibble me a little but refuse to go in my hands. Do they only like him?

How old are they? How long have y'all had them? If I were you, I'd be careful letting them get used to nibbling your hands. Little nibbles while grooming you is normal, but more than that, and I'd make an eep noise and pull away. They learn really quick that nibbling, and eventually biting, is not acceptable. If they are really young, chances are that they nibble to test if you have food, or if you're a play toy. Make sure they have plenty of places to hide and sleep, and plenty of things to chew and play with. Chances are, they are still unsure of you or their surroundings. You have to build trust with them by giving them treats, interacting with them a bunch, and letting them out for play time. Soon they will associate you with good things, and will come running when they see you and will beg for attention. Some rats are also naturally shy too. But I'd think it's because they are still young and unsure. Check out www.joinrats.com for lots of advice on socializing and introducing rats to others (if or when you decide to get more). Good luck, and stay patient! Don't give up! Also, welcome to the forum!

Back