Do loud noises hurt rattie ears?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oxyvince

my cage is set up right next to my computer and i was wondering if

loud noises or loud music bothers or hurts rats in anyway? because im usually at my computer either play world of warcraft, listening to music, etc.

I'm not sure how sensitive rat ears are..someone more knowledgable will be able to help you more.. but just like anyone, no one wants their ears blasted right next to a speaker. So i'd just keep it low. Plus your lil ones are still settling in, you don't want to give them any reasons to be afraid of you.

As I said in the other thread, keep loud noises to a minimum. Since they're still settling in, and they're already terrified of you, they shouldn't be subjected to loud noises as well, or else they'll just be even more fearful.

Rats have poor eyesite but their hearing and sense of smell are both very sensitive.

So yes, loud noises will "hurt" their ears and also frighten them. You might want to invest in a good pair of headphones.

Also, electromagnetic radiation isn't good for anyone so you might consider moving the rats 3 feet away from electrical devices or at least make sure the power is turned off when you are not using the computer.

Depends on how you define "loud". My ratties have no problem whatsoever with me watching TV at a reasonable volume. They'll happily sit next to the TV and aren't startled at all by action scenes, explosions or anything like it. I think that anything that won't bother your neighbors most likely won't bother your rats.

Back