DIY bin cage?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

Hannah Ferina

Hi y'all.
I'm planning to adopt a rescued rat from my local Humane Society next week.

Is a bin cage alright?
I've made one for my hamsters.
But I'm not sure if they're alright to use for rats. Cause I plan on making one for him too.

Of o were you, I'd try to find a critter nation, or a cage similar in size. Rats need a lot of room, and lots of levels, and shelves or baskets to sleep and play on. They also need plenty of toys, and things hanging here and there to climb on, shred, and play with. Hanging hammocks, and hides to sleep in as well. There's just so much more you can do with a barred cage, plus the ventilation is much better for them. Also, he will need a buddy in the cage with him. Rats are social animals, and do best in groups of two or more. They need others to play with, groom, and sleep in rat piles with. I do think it's great that you're adopting from a shelter though. He's a lucky little guy! Welcome to the forum! Check out www.joinrats.com for lots of good info, and check out our reference thread as well.

a bin cage makes a good carrier or a temporary cage ….. but much too small for a permanent cage
rats need at least 4 cubic feet of space and the cage needs a base at least 30 in by 18 in with height and large levels

you also need to get at least 2 same sex rats because rats can not live alone

I too would suggest a critter nation cage or a martins powder coated R695 with flip top lid (martinscages.com) …. and all wire floors need to be covered so they are solid

Back