Diurnal Rat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renee

Just got a new rat, and she's been sleeping all night and awake all day.. Its been almost a week, kind of strange to me. Is this normal or weird? She's perfectly healthy (or so it seems so far) and she is still learning to trust me.

Great question.! Most rats are nocturnal in the wild but our pets begin to adjust to our own schedules, because we are awake in the day if they sleep all day they wouldn't get any attention so they learn to flip their sleep schedule to match ours best they can.! To me it just shows how smart they are the clever little things~

Great question.! Most rats are nocturnal in the wild but our pets begin to adjust to our own schedules, because we are awake in the day if they sleep all day they wouldn't get any attention so they learn to flip their sleep schedule to match ours best they can.! To me it just shows how smart they are the clever little things~
Makes sense, but I've only had her for a week, and all my other rats are nocturnal, kinda strange

Makes sense, but I've only had her for a week, and all my other rats are nocturnal, kinda strange
Well- maybe she just likes you.? My newest baby was only with me a few days and she switched her sleep schedule~

She might just be a rat who likes being awake during the day. I love being awake until 4AM, but humans are classed as a diurnal species. So, there's exceptions to every rule and so long as she's happy and healthy, there's nothing to worry about.

Also, depending on age, she may just have more energy than she knows what to do with. I hear my babies during the day, and I hear them at night.

Just got a new rat, and she's been sleeping all night and awake all day.. Its been almost a week, kind of strange to me. Is this normal or weird? She's perfectly healthy (or so it seems so far) and she is still learning to trust me.
It's not that unusual. All 4 of mine are diurnal, they tend to be asleep at the end of the day after I play with them for a good portion of the afternoon. Probably bc theyre tuckered out.

Yeah, mine actually sleep a lot during the night, and if I'm awake all night, and wake them up, they will look pretty offended. They play more during the day at times we are more active in our house. Mine are weirdos. LOL

Back