dirty ears

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does your rat act like his/her ears are bothering them? Grabbing them etc and such? ... maybe they need a cleaning.. just a cloth, i dont think you can put anything in there to clean it, i wouldnt risk it. I wonder if there is something going on in the ears where you should take them to the vet?

I wouldn't put something inside their ears. The vet has seen her, but not her ears, you can see the wax, she isn't cleaning herself properly as she normally would. What would a vet do...drops?

I think I get what you mean. When nortons HED got bad enough he stopped cleaning his ears and he got build up of wax on his ear flaps. I pulled some of the cotton off a q-tip to make it smaller and just gently cleaned around his ears to get it off. You could dip the cotton swab in a little bit of oil to make cleaning easier. Norton sometimes LOVED me cleaning his ears and other times not so much.

If I were you I would call the vet and ask before putting anything in the ear. As someone said before, rats ears are very sesnsitive.

I don't want to gross anyone out but when Sven (3 legged rat) need his ear cleaned I just used my nail very gently to remove the wax. Whenever he wanted it done he would rub my hand with his face. It was so cute.

I would go with food grade mineral oil or unscented baby oil. It's about as safe as you can get, to loosen it up and wipe it off with some tissue or cotton. Then there's no risk of fingernail damage. You can find food grade mineral oil wherever you find bamboo kitchen utensils, usually cutting boards - you oil the wood to keep it from drying out and cracking, so the oil has to be safe to get on your food. =)

My rat has a cut on her ear and it is dirty and it folded wierd how it is healing what would be best to get her ear clean and unfolded

Back