Dirt/soil as Bedding?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LatteTheRat

I'm contemplating using dirt/soil bedding for Latte on the bottom pan of her cage. Right now everything is fleece, but on the bottom pan she is always digging the fleece up and somehow carrying it to the upper level it's actually really funny to watch:p
And if I were to go for dirt/soil for just the bottom do y'all think just using potting soil or dirt that has fertilizers in it? Or is reptile dirt the best? Here's the reptile stuff I found at my local Petco
Zoo Med Eco Earth Loose Coconut Fiber Substrate
and Zoo Med Forest Floor Bedding
What do y'all think?

I'm contemplating using dirt/soil bedding for Latte on the bottom pan of her cage. Right now everything is fleece, but on the bottom pan she is always digging the fleece up and somehow carrying it to the upper level it's actually really funny to watch:p
And if I were to go for dirt/soil for just the bottom do y'all think just using potting soil or dirt that has fertilizers in it? Or is reptile dirt the best? Here's the reptile stuff I found at my local Petco
Zoo Med Eco Earth Loose Coconut Fiber Substrate
and Zoo Med Forest Floor Bedding
What do y'all think?
I would never ever trust department potting store soil, even ones that claim organic. Rats get cancer and sicknesses easy, all it takes is one weird ingredient hidden by the company... I use reptile coco fiber in my rats dig box because it is made for pets and I would trust it more. Problem is this used as bedding could get expensive, may not block ammonia as well, and be hard to deal with.

Yeah thought so with the potting soil. It's just cheaper, and we have some on hand. It is pricey but it's cheaper then carefreash natural and stuff. I don't think I'm going to do it at least for a while unless it's on sale or something.

Back