difficulty holding food in mouth

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't know what it is yet and it's unlikely an infection so no antibiotics. He is eating a little bit although needs some encouragement-I have soy infant formula but it doesn't say organic. Should I just but eye drops or ointment, or do I need them to be prescribed? I don't think he can close them though, will they be for keeping that eye clean?

These aren't very good photos but the lump is a bit bigger now.
IMG_2130.JPG
IMG_2132.JPG

IMG_2134.JPG
Please, I don't know what to do anymore. His eye looks awful-if I wipe it it will probably cause pain. What do I do?

eye drops/gel will help to keep his eye lubricated
there may be more then one thing wrong,
as lilspaz68 said, he needs pain meds (meloxicam or metacam) and antibiotics asap

IMG_2138.JPG
I got him eye gel but this is the state of his eye. He is going to the vets on monday for painkillers. Will be giving soy infant formula to him.

Also how many times a day do I put the eye gel on? Or is it just when it needs to be cleaned?

My vet had me put in eye gel every few hrs when I had a rat that could not blink
be careful not to touch his eye as it could seriously damage his eye

Thank you, I will definitely look into that. I will be able to tell you his weight tomorrow after going to the vets if he doesn't give us pain meds.

This is what is usually given by vets for pain …. it can be given by injection or orally
Your vet should send you home with it to give to Badger.
If the vet gives Badger some by injection, the ask how long before he can be given oral pain meds.
http://ratguide.com/meds/nsaids/meloxicam.php

Also you should be getting antibiotics such as clavamox or bayril, etc

If you and your vet decide that Badger needs to be put to sleep, please make sure it is done humanely.
Most vets do not know how to do it right

==============================================================
You may need to think about putting Badger to sleep to prevent further suffering.
Most vet do not know how to do it properly so you will need to ask questions, and make sure it is done properly. Stay with Badger if at all possible so he will not be frightened ... some vets will allow you to hold him.
The proper way to do it; Badger will be given the gas/oxygen mix used for surgery, when he is unconscious the vet needs to test his eye and toe reflexes (gently pinch his toes) to make sure that Badger is unconscious to at least a surgical level. Once Badger is deeply unconscious, then the vet will inject him. Badger will need to stay unconscious with the gas/oxygen mix until he is dead. Hs breathing will stop and several minutes later his heart will stop beating - I have read that the brain will still be working for awhile. The vet check twice several minutes apart and find no heart beat.
Never let a vet inject a conscious rat into the heart - this is so cruel it is illegal in some places.
I always take my rats home so their friends know what happened to them, and when I have several I pay to have them cremated (I get their ashes back but it is less expensive if you don't)

Thank you so much SQ and lilspaz68. You're help has made Badger's life slightly more comfortable over the past few weeks. The vet and I decided the quality of Badger's life is not high and it will only get worse due to cancer, so the kindest thing to do is to put him to sleep some time this week. I have never done this before and am reluctant to accept the truth, but I know this is for Badger's best interest. He is right now enjoying a bowl of yummy baby cereal mixed with painkillers to hopefully relax him a bit. He is visibly in pain and I don't want him to stay like that. SQ I will take your advice on euthanasia and make it as peaceful for him as possible. We have not decided when to let him go yet but in a matter of days before his condition gets any worse. Poor little Badger has had a short but fun life chewing on all my clothes and blankets.
Now, I hate to think about this but Bodger is going to be alone after that and I'm indecisive of what to do. I love them both but small animals have too fast a metabolism and I don't know if I am ready to look after more rats. But I can't let Bodger go too-he's had two owners already. Any advice on a lone rat?

Back