The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathrynwithak7

Hi guys,

The vet and I have concluded that Teddy is most likely suffering from kidney problems. The pellets he normally eats have the nutrients he needs (according to my vet) but he doesn't like to eat too much at one time.

However, he LOVES eating new treats and snacks. So, in order to get some healthy weight back on his body (he has lost half his weight since his last vet visit in February), I want to find new and healthy things to feed him. He likes raspberries, bananas, cheese and chicken.

So hit me with your best rat snack ideas!

So if it's kidney issues, you will want to keep his proteins very low and make sure he has a lot of water content in his food. High fat mighty be good too like avocados for fat and watermelon for water.

I would also suggest low protein and high water content ... including a water dish that can not be upset
If you are feeding a good, lower protein block like Oxbow or Harlan Teklad 2014, then you could soak the blocks in cold water to make mush
You could also give organic soy infant formula thickened with baby cereal
Oatmeal with organic blue berries, cooked grains, watermelon, cantaloupe, cooked & mashed sweet potato, baked squash, homemade veg soup with no added salt, kale, broccoli, peas, etc
As Jorats suggested, many feed avocados for fat - I have been told not to give any that is near the pit or near the skin

Personally, I would stay away from meat, dairy, eggs etc as unhealthy and too high in protein

This info may help: http://ratguide.com/health/urinary_renal/chronic_progressive_nephropathy.php

Last edited:
Back