Didn't Know She Was Pregnant

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's really hard to tell in those pics, but I think you're right.
Ok, I’ll try to get better pics when they are a little older, it’s nothing but pink right now haha. But other than that they are healthy and everything seems to be going well :)

LOL yeah, it won't matter much right now anyway. It's just fun to figure out what sex each is, so you can name them and such. But I guess names wouldn't help much right now, since they pretty much all look the same. At least you can tell mom is taking care of them. Their bellies are full! In the next couple of days, they will start getting color and markings. That's fun. Then around day 10-14, eyes open, and that's when the REAL fun begins! Right now they are all pretty much just squeaking jellybeans. Haha!

LOL yeah, it won't matter much right now anyway. It's just fun to figure out what sex each is, so you can name them and such. But I guess names wouldn't help much right now, since they pretty much all look the same. At least you can tell mom is taking care of them. Their bellies are full! In the next couple of days, they will start getting color and markings. That's fun. Then around day 10-14, eyes open, and that's when the REAL fun begins! Right now they are all pretty much just squeaking jellybeans. Haha!
Yeah haha, there is one that has a really cute marking, I’ll add a picture wher that one is viable. And I wanted to see the gender of that one, since I wanted to keep two I wanted to make sure it was a a female I believe she was, but she’s the dark one in the middle of the clump!

Attachments

• 242C780F-E6B0-4C13-9D8F-752AFE10259C.jpeg
    242C780F-E6B0-4C13-9D8F-752AFE10259C.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 203
The babies are starting to get their peach fuzz, and I was just wondering how old are they weened? Since I heard that at that point Lyla can be introduced back into the cage.

They will start to wean around 4-5 weeks. You'll notice the babies trying to suckle, and mom will kick them off with her back feet. It's kinda cute and funny to watch, since they know full well they can eat the same food mom does, but still try to feed on her.

They will start to wean around 4-5 weeks. You'll notice the babies trying to suckle, and mom will kick them off with her back feet. It's kinda cute and funny to watch, since they know full well they can eat the same food mom does, but still try to feed on her.
Haha ok, also another question, I'm in the progress of getting my girls (Ella, Lyla and three babies) a new larger cage. any ideas for possible toys I could fill with it, I've been looking around and got basics like ropes hammocks etc, and was wondering if you had any suggestions.

Awww sweet babies :)
Please see the Reference thread (as I previously mentioned) for info on baby development etc
Red dots (nipples) will appear after their hair starts to grow in.
Baby girls have approx. 12 nipples while baby boys only have a belly button.
You will only be able to see nipples for a day or two before their hair becomes too thick

After their eyes open at approx. 14 days, they will become very active and will start to try the food their mama eats. It is important to provide a variety of daily vegs in addition to the rat block their mama is fed (see diet info on the reference thread). Their mama will gradually wean them.

Baby boys are separated from mama and sisters at 5 weeks. Baby girls stay with their mama until at least 6 weeks old and never need to be separated. Babies can only be rehomed in same sex pairs or groups )never by themselves) and are not rehomed until at least 6 weeks old

While a large cage with small bar spacing is essential, you do not want to provide anything very high as babies may fall or popcorn off balconies or out of hammocks. A large solid wheel is important. Tubes and boxes - to hide in, climb on, & chew are also good. Very low hanging hammocks could be added once they are 3 or 4 weeks old but should be low enough that a fall will not cause harm. Small cardboard tubes such as toilet paper tubes or paper towel tubes need to be cut length wise as rats can get caught in them and die.

Last edited:
She already knows some of her co-workers who have rats and are interested .

You can screen and adopt out to people. And your friend could refer people to you.
But taking rats to a pet store is not ok, it means a horrible death by being eaten alive, or possibly going to homes where they will be neglected, abused, or dumped once the novelty wears off.

It is essential to screen to ensure they are going to good homes, where they will be properly cared for and they will receive vet care (spays, antibiotics, surgery, etc etc) and important for their protection that you use a signed contract, that you receive updates for their lives and that they are returned to you if the person decides they no longer want them. It is also important to educate people so you know that your babies will be well cared for.

Rehoming babies is not easy and is important.
If this is something you can not do, then hopefully you will find a good reliable rat rescue (such as Mainely Rat Rescue) that will ensure all babies go to good homes where they will be well cared for.
Otherwise, having them humanely put to sleep by a vet that knows how to do it properly would be better then going to a pet store - regardless of the fact that you have a friend that works there.

Do not assume that rat owners know how to properly care for rats or that they will provide vet care.
Do not assume that they will not be used as live snake food, in barn ratting or as breeders
Please read this link https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/rehoming-a-rat-or-accidental-litter-things-to-consider.22990/

This is a rat rescue forum. We do not support buying rats from pet stores etc and I can not imagine anyone supporting rats being given to a pet store.
I know of people who took babies to a pet store because they had a friend working there who promised they would be ok ...........… the babies were eaten alive by snakes

Ok, got it. Thank you
You can screen and adopt out to people. And your friend could refer people to you.
But taking rats to a pet store is not ok, it means a horrible death by being eaten alive, or possibly going to homes where they will be neglected, abused, or dumped once the novelty wears off.

It is essential to screen to ensure they are going to good homes, where they will be properly cared for and they will receive vet care (spays, antibiotics, surgery, etc etc) and important for their protection that you use a signed contract, that you receive updates for their lives and that they are returned to you if the person decides they no longer want them. It is also important to educate people so you know that your babies will be well cared for.

Rehoming babies is not easy and is important.
If this is something you can not do, then hopefully you will find a good reliable rat rescue (such as Mainely Rat Rescue) that will ensure all babies go to good homes where they will be well cared for.
Otherwise, having them humanely put to sleep by a vet that knows how to do it properly would be better then going to a pet store - regardless of the fact that you have a friend that works there.

Do not assume that rat owners know how to properly care for rats or that they will provide vet care.
Do not assume that they will not be used as live snake food, in barn ratting or as breeders
Please read this link https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/rehoming-a-rat-or-accidental-litter-things-to-consider.22990/

This is a rat rescue forum. We do not support buying rats from pet stores etc and I can not imagine anyone supporting rats being given to a pet store.
I know of people who took babies to a pet store because they had a friend working there who promised they would be ok ...........… the babies were eaten alive by snakes

Back