Depression in rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bree

So right now my baby lives alone. I am getting her a cage mate as soon as I possibly can (very VERY soon)
A lot of people say that it can lead to behavior problems and depression in rats. How can I tell if my rat is depressed and how can I help her feel better until she gets a new friend?

I've seen rats go through grief-induce depression. At least from what I've seen and perceived, rats seem to go through depression like humans-- they sleep more, eat less, drink less, and just seem less interested in things. I've heard of people saying surviving rats will look for those who have passed away if they didn't get to see the deceased rat one last time.
When one of my rats lost his littermate, all he wanted was for me to hold him. This was the rat who didn't like being held and was content to be left alone. This rat would sort of grab my hand and then try to climb up my arm. Then when I'd hold him, he'd settle down into my arms.

My advice would be interacting with your rat as much as possible. Offering food and your hand and arm is a great way to interact. Softly talking to them.

Back