Dehydrated rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CasperOzzy

Hi my rat is not drinking enough and he’s whole behaviour changed over night he’s been acting slow and tired but still walks and runs when he wants, do I leave him to rest?, I tried to put water down him but he won’t take any liquid, flavoured and unflavoured, I’m very worried for him and fear he could pass, he also eats but not load I fed him loads of cucumber yesterday for some water, I have not seen him drink only his cagemate, I woke up and saw the boys wanted to play and 5 min later I couldn’t see my rat ozzy and I checked under the bed and he was laying behind a little stool I have, he’s never slept in the open before and overall has been acting tired throughout that day yet the day before he was completely fine and playful I also noticed he got skinnier, he always had a slim build but he weighs only 240g, he is 8 months old please help

Hi my rat is not drinking enough and he’s whole behaviour changed over night he’s been acting slow and tired but still walks and runs when he wants, do I leave him to rest?, I tried to put water down him but he won’t take any liquid, flavoured and unflavoured, I’m very worried for him and fear he could pass, he also eats but not load I fed him loads of cucumber yesterday for some water, I have not seen him drink only his cagemate, I woke up and saw the boys wanted to play and 5 min later I couldn’t see my rat ozzy and I checked under the bed and he was laying behind a little stool I have, he’s never slept in the open before and overall has been acting tired throughout that day yet the day before he was completely fine and playful I also noticed he got skinnier, he always had a slim build but he weighs only 240g, he is 8 months old please help
Get him a vet appointment ASAP! In the meantime, prevent dehydration by feeding him high water content foods (melons, strawberries, etc). You can slowly syringe water into his mouth as well. Also try Pedialyte, Ensure, or Gatorade to get some fluid in him. If he is not eating, get him some meat baby food (syringe feed him if needed).

Hi thanks so much for your reply I got him an appointment, little update he’s suddenly completely back to normal he’s eating and drinking again very energetic, wants to leave the cage and play 😃

Hi thanks so much for your reply I got him an appointment, little update he’s suddenly completely back to normal he’s eating and drinking again very energetic, wants to leave the cage and play 😃
Thats great! Rats are very good at hiding illness, so keeping that vet appointment for him is a good idea :)

Soy infant formula is a great way to get rats hydrated/fed. If they need more water you can mix in less powder and if they need more calories you can mix in more powder so it's great for all scenarios. I always have it on hand and they absolutely love it – something to bear in mind for future if needed :)

Back