Degenerative Osteoarthritis aka hind-end degeneration

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratlets

My Ushi has started showing symptoms of this condition. She's run on her wheel her whole life, so she's normally got a wheelie tail, but now she only drags it on the floor behind her. She seems to just barely have her back end off the ground, as well and is walking flat-footed... having a hard time scratching with her back feet... standing upright on her back feet, etc.

Does this require a vet visit? If so, I'll take her right away- for now I've left a message to just speak with the vet when she gets a chance tomorrow. I know that if these symptoms were immediate there could be another issue going on, but they seem very gradual and minor to me at this point in time.

Is there anything I need to be sure to do for her? Supplements or painkillers/steroids? She still seems to be getting around the cage just fine... the ramps aren't really steep, and I've found her in the hardest hammock to get into just now.

Thanks a bunch for any advice!

Sometimes predisone helps .... and rats on it can not stop unless they are taken off it very gradually. Rats taking it also need to be on an antibiotic like baytril.

Its usually not a painful thing, I call it spinal nerve degeneration myself. There are all sorts of treatments you can try to lessen or slow the progress down, but I can't remember them offhand (B6 or B12?,etc).

I find that a little metacam on those days they seem extra stiff are all I usually do.

One of my old boys, Maurice developed this in his older age. He lived a good life, was only a few days short of his 3rd birthday when he passed away in his sleep. Maurice continued to act normal, even though his movement deteriorated. They will require some extra care, since they can't clean as well as they used to. A flat cage, easy access, and soft flooring/bedding.

I wiped Maurice down with a warm cloth often. His rear end withered away, but he maintained very good upper body strength, and could continue to get around just fine until his last days. Unfortunately there really isn't a way to stop it, but it can probably be slowed down. Metacam is a good pain-killer and anti-inflammatory drug that I gave Maurice on days he was stiff.

Often times, this is part of aging. In some cases it's also a symptom of pituitary tumour. When my guys get this way, I simply make them more comfortable, they never seem in pain.

Has this been happening gradually, or suddenly? Suddendly, might indicate an injury....but back leg degeneration is quite common, sadly. Moreso in males, but I have also has some girls. You tend to see it more in one leg first, where it might drag a little. It kind of progresses from there. I have a boy right now that has no use of either of his legs anymore. But he stays comfy, and we are sure to put his foot right where he's at, so he doesn't have to work to get to it.

We always put our elderlies in a one level cage, lined with fleece. We also hang their hammocks lower to the ground, and use lower sided food dishes too. We'll even convert the litter boxes (cut down the front) when they get really far along.

It can be sometimes a bit painful for them...more like arthritis is for us. So Metcam is a great non-steroidal anti-inflammatory that helps keep them comfy. Our Nemo started to get nippy in his old age (where he never nipped his whole life before). So we thought he might be in some pain. We give him Tramadol for the pain....though I honestly can't say whether it helps him or not. :? We tried Metacam....but he just hated the taste, no matter what we mixed it in.

I really do think you can keep them happy and healthy by making their home as comfy as can be. Ramps and litter that slides around is not good for them. Fleece or cloth they can pull themselves around on, it much more comfy.

Back