Cutting legs off critter nation

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabz

Hi, I have critter nations but I want an addon but my ceiling is too short, but I do want to keep the wheel part but not the shelving I was wondering if anybody was successful in doing so? I read a post here to cut the lower part where the stand is on the shelf, does it work? Any feedback please, thanks

https://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/threads/critter-nation-modifications.13582/
Edit:2020-12-17
Won't be trying this, I have thought about it and I will buy some caster wheels, remove the bottom part (storage+original caster wheels)
I will add some Heavy-duty caster wheels the ones with plates, and add extra plates on the side of the Bottom Floor Panel (so I will make a sandwich plate/panel/plate with wheels, I will do this to prevent the panel grid from bending. I will probably add some bolt protectors since I have a metal pan and would not want to do any damage to it. I will take some pictures when I am done.
probably after the new year, wish me luck! lol

Last edited:
Won't be trying this, I have thought about it and I will buy some caster wheels, remove the bottom part (storage+original caster wheels)
I will add some Heavy-duty caster wheels the ones with plates, and add extra plates on the side of the Bottom Floor Panel (so I will make a sandwich plate/panel/plate with wheels, I will do this to prevent the panel grid from bending. I will probably add some bolt protectors since I have a metal pan and would not want to do any damage to it. I will take some pictures when I am done.
probably after the new year, wish me luck! lol
Did you eventually do this? How did it turn out? Can you post some pictures? (Also FYI, the Ferret Nations have this same problem since the design change in late 2011. FN 18x series cages are built just like Critter Nation 16x series cages.)

The problem I see look at the cage is that the bottom section provides the floor as well as the support for the vertical panels above it. So if you're discarding the entire storage/caster section of the original cage, need to fabricate a square frame that provides a floor, somewhere to attach casters, and holes for the pins on the front and back panel to drop into.

Back