Cute Story

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

I have been thinking about rats and how they show us love like licking and bruxing and such. Well today Wayne and I cleaned their cage. We put the girls on the bed and left the room to clean the cage. I went back into the bedroom a few minutes later and they came running to the edge of the bed to see me. I left again and Wayne went in and they came charging again and as he knelt down Hazel jumped onto him. They obviously did not like being left along on the bed alone. Apparently cage time is for rats and out time is for rats and humans. So Wayne said that we would have to take turns staying with them. They had actually pooped on the bed, which they normally don't do, and peed all over me. I took this as their way of saying they weren't happy about being left all alone on the bed together. I'm ok with that. As Wayne cleaned most of the cage, I sat with them and they would not leave me along, at least one of them sat on me the whole time. LOL. I thought it was cute.

This got me thinking. I can tell they love us, but I wonder how they know we love them? I mean they get pets, nice talks to, taken out, treats. I guess they would know by that. It's a silly question but it got me thinking.

I think they feel love from us from our good energy and being with them.
Mine too prefer that I stay with him during out time. When I leave just to go do something quick, they are all over me when I come back. :heart:

Although I don't think animals 'love' the way that humans do, I do think that they do display an emotion towards us.
When we provide them with all they need to be happy and healthy, when their bellies are full and they are warm and without pain or suffering, they do have an affinity towards those that make them feel that way. They are not suspicious, guarded or defensive. When you touch them gently and speak to them with kindness and compassion, they will reciprocate with what looks like the same emotion.
I think that they have a different way of thinking than we do, and I am not saying that it is any more or less 'intelligent' than humans and no less worthy - just different.
I think that the difference lies more with whether you are a human that values, respects and appreciates what they are able to give back.

Back