Cut in rats tail, looks bruised the next day?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostlyMidnight

Hi, I'm very new here but we need some help. Last night (7-5-2020) my cat scratched my rats tail. He did bleed a little, but we took him out and cleaned his tail with warm water, and put him in a smaller cage (to keep his cagemate from licking any blood). He was doing fine even though he had never been hurt before, and didn't even try to bite when we were doctoring his tail. Today however, the spot around his cut has turned brown, like a bruise. Is he okay? I've read elsewhere his tail is going to die and fall off?? Is that true? If it is, will he be okay? Do I need to take him to the vet and get the bruised part removed? Need some advice, I am very scared. I don't want my poor sweet boy to lose part of his tail...

I would definitely take him to the vet. In the mean time put neosporin on it, it’s rat safe. If your local vet doesn’t take rats ask them to refer you to one that does. If it makes you feel better about price, I just took my baby to the vet today for an eye ulcer and together with the check up, eye drops and oral medication it came to be $90, so your vet will most likely charge you way less for something like a tail scratch.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Good vet with the knowledge and experience to treat rats Now! because bacteria from a cat in wounds can kill rats and other small animals. He likely needs antibiotics asap

Please post one or more pictures of your rattie's tail
Is your rattie in pain? Here are signs of pain in rats Health Guide: Signs of Pain in Rats

Here is some info on wound care Health Guide: Wounds
Hopefully lilspaz68 will soon respond

Our Reference Thread contains helpful info about many topics REFERENCE Thread - Read Only

A pic would help. If the wound is definitely a scratch not a bite and there's no swelling, the darkening could just be a bruise. If the tail tip is darkening and the end of the tail below the injury is cool or cold then there's no blood flow, and that's when it would need to be amputated.

Thanks for the advice guys! I did end up taking him for he vet and they said it was just a minor scrape. He has healed up almost completely now.

Back